• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Polygraph test

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amyusko

What is the name of your state? PA
In the middle of June, my classroom was broken in to and @ $2500.00 and a $500.00 digital camera were stolen. The police were called and an investigation was started. Ten days ago, the police called me in to tell me that I am their suspect! (They say it's because of my credit history which is not stellar) They want me to take a polygraph test and the officer told me that they will be asking some very personal questions about my personal finances. i have no problem taking the polygraph because i did not take the money or camera. My question is, can i refuse to answer unrelated questions to the supposed crime during the polygraph test?

CdwJava

You do not have to take the polygraph. You can also refuse to answer whatever questions you wish ... however, that may play against you in the long run. The police don't appreciate partially cooperative subjects, and it might make them wonder what you might be hiding.

I would strongly recommend you consult an attorney before taking any polygraph. In the long run, if they have enough to charge you they will. While the RESULTS cannot be used against you in court, your responses to the questions CAN be used against you.

If you do decide to take it, then you might want to be completely honest. But, that's a decision you have to make.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">