• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible to drop midemeanor charges of my record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GeneCam

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I was given probation but was never actually convicted on the plea (discontinuous without a finding). But on background check I'm assuming this misdemeanor charge will come up. I don't know how serious employers are about this but I'm a bit worried. Since I was never convicted and have an otherwise clean record is there a way to get this one charge expunged?

quincy

What you will need to do to get your record sealed for a misdemeanor in Massachusetts is to go back to the court that heard your original case and get a Petition to Seal from the court clerk, fill it out and return it to the clerk. The clerk will file your request and will schedule a hearing before the judge. At the hearing you will need to explain why your record should be sealed (explain what happened, results of court case, how life has changed, anything legitimate that may compel the judge to seal your record). You will receive a letter in the mail advising you of the judge's decision.
If your misdemeanor is expunged, no one will have access to it except for the police and FBI, and it does not have to be reported on employment forms, etc. It will not show up on background checks.

GeneCam

Thanks..... I was looking into it and read that you need to wait 10 years for misdemeanors but they can do it faster if you show a clean record prior to this charge. I just graduated from college and landed an interview with GE aviation. They canceled that interview after I told them about this minor incident. I don't know if I should have, I guess I should have went to the interview first. They have very strict corporate policies, hopefully other companies aren't as strict but this was very disappointing none the less.

quincy

Yes, you should have waited for the interview.

You will be asked about the misdemeanor charge during the interview, more than likely, if the interview is based off an application form you filled out. You can explain, at that time, the circumstances surrounding the incident. Do not try to minimize it, just be honest. If the interview is NOT based on an application but on a resume, the company that arranged for you to interview with them is basing it on your qualifications as stated on your resume. Stress these qualifications, but, again, if the question about past arrests arises, don't attempt to hide your misdemeanor. The person you interview with may understand youthful indiscretions if presented in an open and honest way.

Then work at maintaining a clean record from here on out, and getting the record expunged as soon as possible.

GeneCam

Thanks for the help. I'm guessing it's also important to stress the fact that I never got convicted and the result was "continuous without a finding". Once again thanks for the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">