• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible to just leave the state and never return?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stikes

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN

I got in trouble during a stop for providing alcohol to a minor. The first court appearence i just found out wont be my only one if I plead not guilty (we had just come back from a party and he was drunk from that). Right now is a mistaminer but I have been told by alot of local lawyers that the judge is a hardass and If i plead guilty (so I can just pay fines and go home to seattle) that I might get jailtime.

My primary concern is just not having to come back to michigan. My uncle told me once that years ago his friend got in toruble for driivng drunk and he got bonded out and just never returned to the state. The lawyer also told me it might just be cheaper if i dont plan on coming back to michigan to just leave the day of court (thats when i was planning to) and dont come back (I live in Washington).

I was wondering

1) does the mistaminor turn into a felony for not appearing in court?

I know they wont bring me all the wayback to michigan for prosecution so What happens if i am ever arrested in washington?

I have a job there that I cant just leave and come back as I please.

thanks in advance for any advice

C

CALIF-LAWPRO45

My response:

Your words for the day are: "Computers" and the acronym, "NCIC."

You'll find out what I mean when you leave the State.

IAAL

CdwJava

Warrants are forever. They also have a nasty way of causing problems ... like being turned down for jobs, not qualifying for student loans, home loans, public assistance, etc. (government supported loans and services often require NO WARRANT to qualify).

So, if you like living life as a fugitive, knock yourself out.

Oh, and any attorney that recommends you leave the state to avoid prosecution should be disbarred!!

- Carl

garrula lingua

It's a bad idea to leave.

You will have a warrant issued by Michigan, and every time you are stopped in WA they will run your name and date of birth (note IAAL's comment 'NCIC').

The Mi warrant will pop up. You will, most likely, be arrested on that warrant and held until MI states whether they will come and get you, or ignore you (they will ignore you, but you will sit in jail in WA until the info seeps through the two systems).

This type of arrest can happen every time you are stopped, until you clear up the Mi warrant.

Even if you have to do a few days now, you have some control over when you are jailed.

Additionally, note what Cdwjava said: you can't qualify for federal benefits, including student loans, some Social Security (SSI), loans, etc).

Forget what your Uncle said - that was probably before computers. Now, you can be tracked easily.

CHUCKS

There Right

garrula lingua said:
It's a bad idea to leave.

You will have a warrant issued by Michigan, and every time you are stopped in WA they will run your name and date of birth (note IAAL's comment 'NCIC').

The Mi warrant will pop up. You will, most likely, be arrested on that warrant and held until MI states whether they will come and get you, or ignore you (they will ignore you, but you will sit in jail in WA until the info seeps through the two systems).

This type of arrest can happen every time you are stopped, until you clear up the Mi warrant.

Even if you have to do a few days now, you have some control over when you are jailed.

Additionally, note what Cdwjava said: you can't qualify for federal benefits, including student loans, some Social Security (SSI), loans, etc).

Forget what your Uncle said - that was probably before computers. Now, you can be tracked easily.
I TOO AM FROM MICHIGAN WITH THE SAME PROBLEM. CHECK OUT CdwJava and garrula lingua POSTS THER BOTH INTELLIGENT , CORDIAL AND DIRECT. FROM ONE MICHIGANDER TO ANOTHER ,TAKE THERE ADVICE.

fairisfair

CHUCKS said:
I TOO AM FROM MICHIGAN WITH THE SAME PROBLEM. CHECK OUT CdwJava and garrula lingua POSTS THER BOTH INTELLIGENT , CORDIAL AND DIRECT. FROM ONE MICHIGANDER TO ANOTHER ,TAKE THERE ADVICE.
You are correct, they are both cordial and intelligent, now take off your caps so that others will think the same of you;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">