• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alleywaydon

What is the name of your state?
bronx, new york
My sister believes that she may have an arrest warrant for a drug case. How can we go about finding out if she has one without going to the precinct and letting them arrest her before getting an attorney?

gawm

Get an attorney before she goes down there that way she'll get arrested after having an attorney :rolleyes: . If she thinks she has a warrant she probably does. The only way to take care of it is to surrender. I would wait til after the holidays.

justalayman

1. hire a lawyer

2. just wait, if there is one, they'll find her

3.dress up like your sister, pretend to be her, go into your local constabulary and ask. when they try to arrest you, yell "surprise, fooled you"

4. call and ask. use your enemy's phone so if they track it back and come to get her they'll hassle your enemy

bigpigtx

3.dress up like your sister, pretend to be her, go into your local constabulary and ask. when they try to arrest you, yell "surprise, fooled you"
Then be really suprised when they arrest you anyway for false report/fail to ID!!!

Ok someone (Senior Judge, HomeGuru, Kane, etc) explain to me why you need an attorney before you get arrested if you have an arrest warrant?

Listen I've only been doing this on my end for a while but my impression has always been (at least in my state) is that once a magistrate has issued a warrant there is really no way to clear that until you are arrested, post bond, and then talk to the DA or go to trial. However once that warrant has been issued you have two choices: run and hide as long as you can, or take care of your business.

Ok my advice for your sister: call the agency that issued the warrant and ask them what she can do. It's always cheaper NOT to take someone to jail. If there is any way not to then they will tell you.

justalayman

bigpigtx: I do hope you caught this was in jest.

the only serious one was 1.

An attorney can, in come cases, get bail established before you turn yourself in and allow you time to aquire it before you are arrested. As well if you have a lawyer when you go in s/he can be sure your rights are respected.

bigpigtx

bigpigtx: I do hope you caught this was in jest
I did :)

An attorney can, in come cases, get bail established before you turn yourself in and allow you time to aquire it before you are arrested. As well if you have a lawyer when you go in s/he can be sure your rights are respected
You're very much correct, but please don't imply that the police don't respect your rights. They are, respectfully the only ones bound by oath, statute, and ethics to protect them.

justalayman

bigpigtx said:
You're very much correct, but please don't imply that the police don't respect your rights. They are, respectfully the only ones bound by oath, statute, and ethics to protect them.
I didn't neccessarily mean to imply that the police would do anything wrong. It has happened before but that is not really what I meant. Anybody that is arrested for a crime needs to realize it is the job of the police and the PA/DA to work to convict the person(s) responsible. They are allowed to lie to suspects. An attorney, if nothing else, will help prevent a person from incriminating themselves. I do want the criminals to be caught but I also want the justice system to be held to all the rules as well.

gawm

bigpigtx said:

Sorry but the police are not trained to protect peoples rights. In fact technically it isn't the police's job to protect people either.

Tattood

gawm said:
Sorry but the police are not trained to protect peoples rights. In fact technically it isn't the police's job to protect people either.
Then what the heck are they getting paid for?? Just to ride around, eat doughnuts and arrest people? Thought that the police motto was "To Protect and Serve". Or was that only good for 1 Adam 12?

Tattood

gawm

Tattood said:
Then what the heck are they getting paid for?? Just to ride around, eat doughnuts and arrest people? Thought that the police motto was "To Protect and Serve". Or was that only good for 1 Adam 12?

Tattood
Snapple's motto is "made from the best stuff on earth". Is it really made from the best stuff on earth? Does anyone ever really lick their fingers after eating KFC?(not if they have proper table manners)

The police get paid to apprehend suspects who may have violated the law. Usually it is only after the law has been violated can they do this.

Tattood

gawm said:
Snapple's motto is "made from the best stuff on earth". Is it really made from the best stuff on earth? Does anyone ever really lick their fingers after eating KFC?(not if they have proper table manners)

The police get paid to apprehend suspects who may have violated the law. Usually it is only after the law has been violated can they do this.
Snapple and KFC are not sworn to an oath. Their mottos are ADVERTISING. They pay an expensive agency to lie for them and sell their product. I've seen dozens of police cars with that motto on the side. Is it a lie??

You haven't licked your fingers after KFC?? C'mon! ;)

Tattood

gawm

Police cars aren't sworn to an oath either and police agencies also pay those same expensive agencies to come up with snappy public relations motto's for them also.

bigpigtx

Police cars aren't sworn to an oath either and police agencies also pay those same expensive agencies to come up with snappy public relations motto's for them also
Where do you get your info?!?!?!

I can't remember the last time I ate at KFC, but I probably licked my fingers, and read the ingredients on snapple****************************is all that stuff really from Earth?

CdwJava

gawm said:
Sorry but the police are not trained to protect peoples rights.
In every state I am aware of, they ARE trained to do so. Constitutional protections are drilled into most recruits in the academy.

Here is the first part of the law enforcement Code of Ethics that most of us are required to adhere and agree to when we are sworn in:

As a Law Enforcement Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all persons to liberty, equality and justice.

- Carl

CdwJava

Tattood said:

Tattood
A motto is a motto - it is just a collection of words designed to succinctly express an ideal that the agency wishes to convey. An officer is expected to uphold the law and the goals (Mission Statement) of his agency. But the motto is not (legally) binding on anyone.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">