• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible warrant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SMK777

What is the name of your state? South Dakota

I am originally from Colorado. I have since moved to South Dakota to go to school, although I still retain my Colorado driver's license. In November of 2005 I was pulled over for my tags being expired for about a month, I was in school and I never really had a chance to renew them before that. At the end of that semester, I transferred colleges. I had forgotten about the ticket during the transfer and finals(stupid), and just recently going through some paperwork I had put away in a box from my old school , I found a letter from the county mailed to my dorm stating I hadn't paid my ticket. Well, needless to say this was 6 months ago. I am a bit worried, I'm afraid if I get pulled over I will be arrested. I don't know what my course of action would be, and I really don't have any money to hire an attorney. What should I do? I would appreciate some help.

BelizeBreeze

SMK777 said:
What is the name of your state? South Dakota

I am originally from Colorado. I have since moved to South Dakota to go to school, although I still retain my Colorado driver's license. In November of 2005 I was pulled over for my tags being expired for about a month, I was in school and I never really had a chance to renew them before that. At the end of that semester, I transferred colleges. I had forgotten about the ticket during the transfer and finals(stupid), and just recently going through some paperwork I had put away in a box from my old school , I found a letter from the county mailed to my dorm stating I hadn't paid my ticket. Well, needless to say this was 6 months ago. I am a bit worried, I'm afraid if I get pulled over I will be arrested. I don't know what my course of action would be, and I really don't have any money to hire an attorney. What should I do? I would appreciate some help.
hmmmmm let's think for a moment.

You have a letter on what I assume is the court letterhead.

Now, hmmmmmm how about calling the number, explaining what happened and asking ?

SMK777

When I call them, if my license is suspended, will I pretty much be admitting to have been driving 6 months while suspended? Can I be arrested for this? I just want to clear this up, I'm really embarrassed.\

EDIT: Yup. Reading the letter sent to me by the County Clerk, it states my license would be suspended. HOWEVER. The letter states I had a deadline of December 12th. I was pulled over in mid January for having a headlight out, and given a warning. They ran my papers, and nothing came back. Is this unusual?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
SMK777 said:
When I call them, if my license is suspended, will I pretty much be admitting to have been driving 6 months while suspended? Can I be arrested for this? I just want to clear this up, I'm really embarrassed.\

EDIT: Yup. Reading the letter sent to me by the County Clerk, it states my license would be suspended. HOWEVER. The letter states I had a deadline of December 12th. I was pulled over in mid January for having a headlight out, and given a warning. They ran my papers, and nothing came back. Is this unusual?
Well let me put it this way -- if you are driving currently you are knowingly breaking the law. Call and find out what you have to do to get your license back because the next time you are stopped it will be even worse. And it is possible that you might be arrested.

SMK777

So even without the fact of the possible suspension being firsthand knowledge to me, technically they will view it as I still knew, is that what your saying?

nsnryan

If the letter stated a suspension would occur, and that letter was mailed to you at your last known valid address, this is sufficent notification. Especially since you got the ticket to begin with and most people would know they have a ticket to pay. How many do you get that you can forget about them? lol

Probably all you have to do is pay the ticket and fines as well as a possible reinstatement fee and they will give you your license back and clear any bench warrants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">