• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posted friends bail but he's thinking bout leaving the country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

crobinsonout said:
I was thinking about doing that but he's been a friend, more like a brother and more than losing money, I don't want to see him in jail for all that time!

The best thing is to turn him in then? Obviously you guys already advised that but the hard part is, can I live with that I put him back in?

Thanks for your advice!
It won't be YOU that put him in jail, it will be HIM that did it. Unless you conspired with him to commit all those felonies, then YOU have nothing to feel guilty about.

Is HIS freedom worth YOU being on the hook for the ENTIRE bail amount?! What kind of friend is HE to you if he leaves you destitute because he takes off?

As a rule, I would never bail out even a family member. I have seen too many people get screwed to even consider it.

EDIT: A friend of mine bailed out his wife's derelict cousin because the family begged him to do it ... and, he was the only family member who owned a house for collateral to post for an $18,000 bond. Well, dirtbag cousin commits a couple more crimes while on bail (including a drive-by shooting) and makes a run for south of the border. My friend is then contacted by the bondsman and told he will have to pony up the bond in 6 months ... this means he has to sell his house as he has no other means to raise the money (already is a second on it, and a re-fi was not feasable).

Fortunately for my friend, dirtbag cousin realizes that life in Mexico - even as a free man - was much less entertaining than he had anticipated, and living in a shack in the middle of nowhere with family didn't add to his appreciation of the land he barely knew ... so, he skipped back across the border and got caught.

Well, dirtbag cousin landed in jail in AZ, his bond was revoked, and my friend was only out the initial $2,000 he posted (half of which was cash from dirtbag's parents).

The lesson he learned the hard way was that it is NOT a noble thing to risk your family's future to bail someone out of jail.

- Carl

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">