• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posted friends bail but he's thinking bout leaving the country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crobinsonout

What is the name of your state? CA and NY

I put up my signature and some money for a friend in NY to get out on bail a couple of months ago. From my understanding, I think he's trying to leave the country because he knows he will be facing time on, 9 Violent B Felonies and 2 C felonies. I don't want to lose by money but I don't want to see him get locked up for that whole time.

What happens if he leaves the country? Will the state go look for him in another country? What's the whole procedure on foreign policies with charged individuals? What happens if he gets arrested in another country?

What will happen to my bank account, apt, and money I put in?

S

seniorjudge

"Visit the court and revoke his bail. It ain't rocket science."

Make sure you have your "friend" in cuffs and chains when you visit the court. Or, better yet, work a deal with the cops where they pick him up and carry him back to jail.

The cops are awfully busy and may not want to spend the time helping you. If, however, you don't get that guy back in the clink, you are out of home and out of money.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Nice friend you've got. Act now, act quickly, and snag him before he takes off and you lose all of your money.

rmet4nzkx

Some friend, yes, report their plans to flee and get their sorry a$$ back in jail where it belongs and then they will have to deal with their actions. Also if you know that they are planning on fleeing, you might be seen as an accessory if you don't revoke their bail.

crobinsonout

I was thinking about doing that but he's been a friend, more like a brother and more than losing money, I don't want to see him in jail for all that time!

The best thing is to turn him in then? Obviously you guys already advised that but the hard part is, can I live with that I put him back in?

Thanks for your advice!

rmet4nzkx

crobinsonout said:
I was thinking about doing that but he's been a friend, more like a brother and more than losing money, I don't want to see him in jail for all that time!

The best thing is to turn him in then? Obviously you guys already advised that but the hard part is, can I live with that I put him back in?

Thanks for your advice!
He will spend more time if he flee's, if you are his friend you will do the right thing.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
crobinsonout said:

Thanks for your advice!
Dude - why do you want a friend who would willingly cost you so dearly? Does he think of *you* as a brother? Or a sap with a wallet?

crobinsonout

Who would I need to contact then? I'm in CA and he's in NY! I don't think his parents would believe me if I had told them.

It's just hard to see a guy who has NEVER been in trouble, graduated from a good University with a Bachelors, had a bright future and just made a mistake and now his whole life, well, i guess more his future, is ruined. He was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

rmet4nzkx

none of that is a guarentee that he won't do anything wrong, with how many felony counts, he was more than in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Call the court, don't call his parents or anyone to warn him.

S

seniorjudge

"I was thinking about doing that but he's been a friend, more like a brother...."

This reaches beyond any definition of friendship or brotherhood that I am aware of.

girln2rupted342

i went thru this before!

couple of years ago i signed a bond for a friend.....i even had to drive out of state,almost 7 hrs to get there just to bail her out...and she called at almost 1 a.m,...well....being the friend i was...i wanted to help her...so i got in the car and went after her. knowing that by signing that bond..i was held responsible making sure she showed in court...i did it anyway. i trusted her.
i even gave her a job,so she could earn the money she needed to pay her fine when she went to court,if she didnt pay at court,she would have to serve the time.she had 2 months before court and to have the money. she earned the money...i know cause i cashed her checks for her. all she had to do was save it and show for court and she was in the clear.well...i dont know what she did with the money she earned....but by court she said she didnt have the money and wasnt going to court.said was no way she was going to jail.
i told her she couldnt do that to me cause i'd be responsible for paying her 3,000 dollar bond...no way i could do that...i was in the middle of buying a house. anyway..she her daughter told me she was leaving town.well...i called the bondsman,told him the deal,he told me i needed to get her there and get her bond revolked so i was released from liability. well....i knew she wasnt just gonna hop in the car and head down the interstate with me knowing how pissed i was cause she said she was gonna leave town. so....i called her up,told her all she needed to take care of this was the money for her fines,so i told her i'd loan her the money and we'd get it paid that day. well....she went for that of course....but i then got a call from one of our friends that told me that she was gonna leave town anyway after i paid her fine for her.
well...i was really boiling by then....i didnt tell her i knew her plan...i showed up as scheduled to pick her up to get the money for her....i took along two of my girlfriends,we filled up the gas tank.....picked her up.......then got on the interstate!........she's like..."thought we were going to the bank?".....i then proceeded to tell her how i didnt appreciate what she tryed to pull on me...and how selfish she is....and that i learned i valuable lesson....but i'm not gonna pay for it.
i told her the bondsman was waiting on us.told her she was on her own from now on. she was upset of course,but she knew she was wrong...she asked if she could use my cell phone to call her friends house...i told her they'd be giving her 1 phone call when she got there....then i didnt talk to her the rest of the trip.
i called the bondsman when i was 15 minutes away from the justice center.....the bondsman was waiting on us there. we walked in....i signed a paper along with the bondsman....and she was taken into custody.
my lesson was,be careful what u get urself into when u try to help someone..know your friends well.....never sign anything that is gonna make u responsible for someone elses actions. its sad....cause this girl was my friend...and i didnt think she'd try to screw me over.......ya just never know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">