• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prank calls and Detective asking me questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Indiana but his incident takes place in North carolina

A friend of mine gave me a phone number to call and he said it was his. I called the number and noone picked up. this was at 10:30 am. At around 10:30 pm i got a call from the number i dialed earlier that day and i picked up and noone was talking but i think someone was on the line. so i hung up. i called the number back and noone picked up and i thought someone just wanted to leave me a message so i left a message telling to just leave me a message if thats what you were trying to do. so about a minute later i get a call back from the same number but they dont leave a message. they call right back agian. so i pick up and its this lady wanting to know why i was calling that number. she asked me when i got a call from her and i said well about a few minutes ago and she was like "ohh i have one thats furthur back than yours" and i said "umm ok" then hung up. she proceded to call me back 29 more times telling me to leave her daughter alone and stop IMing her and that a detective is on my ass and i'm going to jail. She left two messages on my cell phone saying basically that. I called my local police department and after a few hours they said they weren't able to send anyone out to me to file a report so i should try to call the police from where the call is originating from. I did a reverse search and got the address and everything and called the cops. The Chapel Hill police department in North Carolina. And they sent someone out there but noone was awake at the house at that time. so then next morning i get a call from this investigator detective saying that the case the police made last night was lost on their computer and could not be found. he needed to hear what happened agian. I thought i just wrote the number down wrong and misdialed it. So i tell him and he asks who i was trying to call and aparently my friend has been harrassing the people who's number he gave to me and it was a trick to get me to call them. The detective said he was a juvinile detective and he is actually working the case and I don't know if that is just coincidence or not. Its a small town so it might be. he told me that he is supeonaing to get info that would incriminate my friend then starts threatning me saying that if he found out i was harrassing these people too he would file with my local district attourny and i would get charged. before that he asked for all my information including full name, address ect. which i wonder if i had to give it. I told him about the lady calling me and he said he would talk to her about it.

now the questions. Do i have to answer his questions on the phone? can i just hang up on him?
Can i get a restraining order on the lady who was calling me? what do i have to do to get one if i can? is there any other legal action i can take agianst her?

janimal

This lady is being harassed by your "friend", who tricked you into assisting in his harassment. Why on earth would you thnk it appropriate to sue your friend's victim?

Cooperate with the police.

janimal said:
This lady is being harassed by your "friend", who tricked you into assisting in his harassment. Why on earth would you thnk it appropriate to sue your friend's victim?

Cooperate with the police.
I think sueing is too harsh but she did call me 31 times that night in a period of about an hour and a half. And one accidental phone call that was never even answered isn't harrassment. why would she even call back the number that only called her house once? and why 31 times? I did cooperate with the police but he threatened me. i'm not going to take too kindly to being threatened.

janimal

If she hasn't continued to call you, then no further action on your part is warranted or necessary.
If she does continue to call, then do not call her back. Hit *57 on your phone after each of her calls and follow directions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">