• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

prank gone wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joejohn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

my friend was at a social gathering last night and tried a harmless prank on a woman whose husband was standing there. The husband had no sense of humor, got out of control and started pushing the pranker and threatening to punch him in the face. So the pranker, who had an open beer bottle in his hand, kind of sprayed the beer on both the husband and wife.
could this be considered assault? if they decide to file a police report, how much trouble is my friend going to be in?

swalsh411

A lot of husbands don't react well to other men pulling "pranks" on their wives, and what is perceived by the prankster (and those in on it) as "harmless" is often not seen that way by the victim and/or her husband.

So what was this "harmless prank"?

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

my friend was at a social gathering last night and tried a harmless prank on a woman whose husband was standing there. The husband had no sense of humor, got out of control and started pushing the pranker and threatening to punch him in the face. So the pranker, who had an open beer bottle in his hand, kind of sprayed the beer on both the husband and wife.
could this be considered assault? if they decide to file a police report, how much trouble is my friend going to be in?
Yes.
You should tell your friend to keep his mouth shut and hope they don't.

http://www.shouselaw.com/assault.html

http://www.mycaliforniadefenselawyer.com/criminal-charges/assault-battery/

I am not affiliated with either website, but they both explain what is assault in CA and what the possible penalties are.

Last edited:

CdwJava

We call this "battery" in CA. It is a misdemeanor criminal offense per PC 242. No one can say whether the police will get involved, but I suspect it is unlikely they will be called.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">