+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    peoria,Illinois is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6

    Pressing Charges

    Illinois-What is the time limitation I have to press charges on a battery? The police were involved however I declined to press charges at the time.

    What is the name of your state? Illinois.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
  2. #2
    Isis1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,063
    Quote Originally Posted by peoria,Illinois View Post
    Illinois-What is the time limitation I have to press charges on a battery? The police were involved however I declined to press charges at the time.

    What is the name of your state? Illinois.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
    how long ago did this occur?
  3. #3
    peoria,Illinois is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6

    pressing charges

    6 months ago
  4. #4
    Banned_Princess is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York. Long Island.
    Posts
    7,711
    Quote Originally Posted by peoria,Illinois View Post
    6 months ago
    Wayyy to long ago...
  5. #5
    Isis1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Banned_Princess View Post
    Wayyy to long ago...
    definitely! i was thinking a day, two days..maybe three.

    six months. you should have let that one go ages ago.
  6. #6
    peoria,Illinois is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6

    pressing charges

    I suppose I am thinking more along the lines of being reimbursed for the dental procedure. Being that there was a police report filed and a hospital visit, do I have grounds to sue?
  7. #7
    Banned_Princess is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York. Long Island.
    Posts
    7,711
    Quote Originally Posted by peoria,Illinois View Post
    I suppose I am thinking more along the lines of being reimbursed for the dental procedure. Being that there was a police report filed and a hospital visit, do I have grounds to sue?
    Now you are talking about a civil suit for damages.

    yes. you can do that.
  8. #8
    Isis1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Banned_Princess View Post
    Now you are talking about a civil suit for damages.

    yes. you can do that.
    which is COMPLETELY separate from pressing charges!
  9. #9
    peoria,Illinois is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6

    pressing charges

    Thank you. From what I have researched I have up to 18 months in Illinois to file. Does that sound correct?
  10. #10
    Isis1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,063
    Quote Originally Posted by peoria,Illinois View Post
    Thank you. From what I have researched I have up to 18 months in Illinois to file. Does that sound correct?
    looks like two years to me...

    [url=http://law.findlaw.com/state-laws/civil-statute-of-limitations/illinois/]Illinois Civil Statute of Limitations Laws - IL Civil Statute of Limitations Laws - State Laws, Codes[/url]
  11. #11
    peoria,Illinois is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6

    pressing charges

    Thank you again. I've never been to this site before, or any forum for that matter. I really wish I could get the police back involved, but I will settle for the civil suit.

Similar Threads

  1. Someone is pressing charges against me
    By melinda27 in forum Small Claims Courts
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 01:26 PM
  2. Pressing charges
    By Katscause in forum Domestic Violence & Abuse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2010, 04:16 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 02:18 PM
  4. Pressing charges - to be or not to be?
    By turbosix in forum Arrests, Searches, Warrants & Procedure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 08:49 AM
  5. Pressing Charges
    By tagibbons in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 03:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.