• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

myclementine

I'm not sure if this is in the right spot. Regardless, I live in Washington. I am not entirely sure of privacy laws, but I was under the impression that monitoring changing rooms in any store was illegal. I found this:

"The following states have laws which prohibit non-consenual photographic or video recording of persons in a state of undress or nudity where the individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy. Including but not limited to: restrooms, changing rooms."

But today, a sign in Nordstrom's very clearly said: "Changing rooms are monitored by Nordstrom's personell."

This made me nervous, and I asked a woman who worked there if people were watching me change, and she said, "Oh, no, not at all. It's just to monitor sales."

What does this mean? Is it legal to have cameras in changing rooms? I am extremely private, and the thought of this sickens me. Have I always thought wrong?

Please let me know. I may never use a changing room again.

outonbail

myclementine said:
I'm not sure if this is in the right spot. Regardless, I live in Washington. I am not entirely sure of privacy laws, but I was under the impression that monitoring changing rooms in any store was illegal. I found this:

"The following states have laws which prohibit non-consenual photographic or video recording of persons in a state of undress or nudity where the individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy. Including but not limited to: restrooms, changing rooms."

But today, a sign in Nordstrom's very clearly said: "Changing rooms are monitored by Nordstrom's personell."

This made me nervous, and I asked a woman who worked there if people were watching me change, and she said, "Oh, no, not at all. It's just to monitor sales."

What does this mean? Is it legal to have cameras in changing rooms? I am extremely private, and the thought of this sickens me. Have I always thought wrong?

Please let me know. I may never use a changing room again.
Most of those signs are meant to be a deterrent to crime and hopefully persuade anyone who might be thinking about doing something they shouldn't, not to. Makes them think twice about their actions.
However, to monitor the changing rooms is not the same as to video record the activities in the dressing areas. A store clerk noticing how many items a person brings into the fitting room and then how many items they leave that same room with, is "monitoring" by Nordstrom's personel.
But I can assure you, that if Nordstrom's or any other major department store was concealing cameras in their dressing rooms, they would lose allot more money as a result of customers like yourself, who would refuse to shop there, than they have ever lost due to shoplifters who make it out the door without paying for items.
They are certainly aware of this and would never even consider having employees viewing their valued customers, while they were undressing to try on clothing.

Now as far as the restroom in Mohamad Habibe's 24 hour, mini mart & self serve gas station, well your on your own in those places,,,,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">