• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

privacy question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

linedpaper

What is the name of your state? California.

So at a private school in the dorms, hidden cameras were put up in the hallways without any notification to the residents. Does this violate any state or federal privacy laws? These cameras were setup to monitor activities they beleived violated their school policies. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Tim

HomeGuru

linedpaper said:
What is the name of your state? California.

So at a private school in the dorms, hidden cameras were put up in the hallways without any notification to the residents. Does this violate any state or federal privacy laws? These cameras were setup to monitor activities they beleived violated their school policies. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Tim

**A: no violation has occured.

linedpaper

Ok, one more question then, is how does a school differ from other such locations? I mean what is the difference between a place that must have signs and place that doesn't have to have signs.

CdwJava

linedpaper said:
So no signs have to be posted for closed circuit monitoring? Most places have signs posted.
The hallway is likely considered a common and public area. Unless there is an expectation of privacy in the hallway (i.e. NO ONE will see them there) there is no problem with the video surveillance.

Oddly enough, had the surveillance included AUDIO, it might be unlawful without notification (in CA). But video is almost certainly okay.

- Carl

CdwJava

linedpaper said:
Ok, one more question then, is how does a school differ from other such locations? I mean what is the difference between a place that must have signs and place that doesn't have to have signs.
The expectation.

Do you see signs telling you that you're on camera when you go into the local department store or corner market? No? That's because they are not required to put the signs up.

Your dorm hallways is a common area and open to many, many people. There is no expectation of privacy.

So ... just what were you caught doing?

- Carl

linedpaper

I don't live there, this question was for some friends. It is a religious school and they are trying to catch a guy and his gf...well you can figure that out. Anyways thanks for the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">