• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private autopsie and police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdwJava

Does anyone know how to find a good lawyer to help me with this? Do I just look up local criminal lawyers.? How do I know if they have experience in this sort of case ?
A criminal defense lawyer defends someone accused of a crime. The type of attorney yu might want is one who will help you do whatever it is you want to do. If you want to sue someone you believe you can prove is responsible for the death, you will have to find an attorney specializing in that area of civil law. But, at this point it does not appear that you have anyone you could sue for something.

If you contact the Bar Association, as suggested, they might be able to give you some direction.

Miadora

Since finding out death was due to drug overdose , police said they may be able use the culpability law and possibly charge with murder who ever gave him the drugs. Now they say that is off the table because too many different types of drugs in urine so can't pinpoint which drugs killed him . Is this a good reason or is it just too much work for police to make the case? Will a private detective be any use or help ? Thanks.

CdwJava

A private detective cannot file charges. He can gather evidence of some kind, but that does not mean that the police will be able to use it, or willing to even if it is usable. And you may spend a LOT of money on a private detective only to have him provide you with interviews that might hint to a possible OD.

The presence of drugs does not mean murder. It means the drugs were present, it doesn't say how they got there or why. Heck, they could have been part of an accidental or even an intentional overdose by the patient.

Miadora

He was robbed and had "recent blunt force injuries" which police missed because skin had already turned purple when found. Those injuries are not what killed him but may have caused a heart attack. Scientific lab tissue test done to prove they happened very near to time of death. Police are under no obligation to clear that up I guess, so they will just find the thieves (caught on cameras at various locations using his cards) and charge with theft and I will never know what happened to him. Looks like he was punched also, cheek injury along with broken glasses (still wearing them when found). With that many injuries(head laceration, fore arm 5 in bruise, wrist bruise, and cheek, there is no way he would still be wearing his broken glasses (which would have fallen off his head).i think hiring a private det. Is my only hope to know what happened. I know it will cost but I will use his money that I inherited. Police will never find out because no incentive and not their job. Plus they already screwed up by missing all those injuries and declaring a natural death and making me have to pay for my own autopsy after they learned of head wound.

justalayman

So no heart problems yet he died of a heart attack
Found with glasses on yet previously you said they were "broken off"
Only meds used was xanax yet found with multiple drugs in his system
And speaking of that, in one post you say died of a drug overdose and in another of a heart attack

Sounds like you didn't know this guy very well at all.

CdwJava

It is up to you how to spend the money. But, there can be many explanations for the trauma that was found, and the contusions may not be contemporaneous with the time of death. A private investigator cannot make a criminal case. You may find answers, or, you may find more questions that cannot be answered. But, it's your money to spend to try.

Understand that suspicious injuries and circumstances do not mean that any sort of criminal case can be proven. Suspicions are just that, suspicions.

Miadora

injuries were proven by autopsy tissue lab report that all injuries were contemporaneous with death (accurate to within 3 hours of death). Maybe he fell but more probable that he was assaulted according to examiner.... Head injury was on very top of head (doctor said was on tip top of head in center) Scenario put forth so far by police makes no sense. They think he fell (dr said injury so bad that poss cuncusion) then did drugs with someone, then put back on or left on broken glasses that left a mark on his face. I just think I can't expect them to really try hard to find out what happened because injuries were not cause of death. Their job is only to catch and charge the people that somehow got his cards. I'm starting to give up. I will meet with prosecutors office this week but it Im sure I will have the same dilemma with them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
injuries were proven by autopsy tissue lab report that all injuries were contemporaneous with death (accurate to within 3 hours of death). Maybe he fell but more probable that he was assaulted according to examiner.... Head injury was on very top of head (doctor said was on tip top of head in center) Scenario put forth so far by police makes no sense. They think he fell (dr said injury so bad that poss cuncusion) then did drugs with someone, then put back on or left on broken glasses that left a mark on his face. I just think I can't expect them to really try hard to find out what happened because injuries were not cause of death. Their job is only to catch and charge the people that somehow got his cards. I'm starting to give up. I will meet with prosecutors office this week but it Im sure I will have the same dilemma with them.
You may have been told this above, but you can't force the police to do anything.

Miadora

After asking the prosecutors office to look into the death as possibly suspicious, they basically have been telling us not to contact them anymore, to contact local police and that local police are capable. Does this mean they are not really involved ? How does this work ? If I were to show them all the evidence and convinced them that something was fishy would they take case over from local police ? I really don't know how all this works. Should I also tell them about all the mistakes police made ?

CdwJava

It is rare that a prosecutor's office will investigate a possible crime. They tend to conduct follow-up only after a case is referred to them for prosecution from a local law enforcement agency.

The local prosecutor is not likely to listen to you or your "evidence" and suspicions of how the local police got it wrong. Your only real recourse is to try and work with the local police to resolve the matter, or, to pursue a civil action (lawsuit) against the perpetrator of whatever offense you think you can prove. Provided, of course,that a court recognizes that you have standing to proceed with a suit.

You might want to consider consulting an attorney to see what they might suggest as to how to proceed. He may tell you that you are barking at the wind ...or, he may say you have a case. We can't see. I CAN say, however, that many people in your position see crimes and evidence when there is none - at least none that can gain any traction in a courtroom. This is why it might be a good idea to have an attorney go over what you know and what you think you know. That attorney might be able to put a different perspective onto the matter for you.

Miadora

How is it determined that an overdose is a cause of death ? isnt there a bit of speculation involved ? How can any doctor really know for sure if the amount of drugs or mix of drugs beyond a doubt killed the person ? What if person also had clogged arteries ? Doctor would not phone in ok for natural if he didnt believe person could have died of heart attack. It cant be the amount of drug because I imagine different people have different tolerances.

Miadora

Also if two different people stole two different cards from same person on same day and you capture and question one, how can a competent police investigator not be able to id the other one ? A week has gone by and still police cant identity of other one (just have pictures from ATM machines)

justalayman

So you can look at a picture of anybody in the world and be able to identify them? A picture is a picture. You have to put a name to the picture. Just how do you propose they do that? If the person caught won't name the other person the cops end up with a picture and no name.

Miadora

Also, if obvious signs drug use in house and a dead body aren't police automatically supposed to order an autopsy ? Especially after they finally agreed to come to morgue to see that i was correct that there was a big cut on top of his head a few days later ? Why did I have to pay $5000 for an autopsy and then the police to have the nerve to question why or how I found "that NEW YORK doctor ", as if I did something wrong trying to find out how my dad died. Now they are trying to accuse me of wanting them to investigate for murder because of insurance reasons. I told them if I get any insurance money I would gladly bring it to them and burn it...I just want to know what really happened to my father. My first experience with the police is not going too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">