• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private autopsie and police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miadora

So you can look at a picture of anybody in the world and be able to identify them? A picture is a picture. You have to put a name to the picture. Just how do you propose they do that? If the person caught won't name the other person the cops end up with a picture and no name.
Yea I guess your right. I just thought if they really scared her and told her the guy turned up dead, they could get it out of her. I dont think its a stretch to think the two people know each other.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Also, if obvious signs drug use in house and a dead body aren't police automatically supposed to order an autopsy ? Especially after they finally agreed to come to morgue to see that i was correct that there was a big cut on top of his head a few days later ? Why did I have to pay $5000 for an autopsy and then the police to have the nerve to question why or how I found "that NEW YORK doctor ", as if I did something wrong trying to find out how my dad died. Now they are trying to accuse me of wanting them to investigate for murder because of insurance reasons. I told them if I get any insurance money I would gladly bring it to them and burn it...I just want to know what really happened to my father. My first experience with the police is not going too good.
The police don't order an autopsy; it's not their call and it's not their job.

CdwJava

How is it determined that an overdose is a cause of death ? isnt there a bit of speculation involved ?
That depends on the substance, the quantity, and how death occurred.

How can any doctor really know for sure if the amount of drugs or mix of drugs beyond a doubt killed the person ? What if person also had clogged arteries ? Doctor would not phone in ok for natural if he didnt believe person could have died of heart attack. It cant be the amount of drug because I imagine different people have different tolerances.
There are some absolutes. Certain quantities of certain drugs can be a fatal level ... others, not so much. In some other instances, you'd be right, the amount of the substance present may not be necessarily a fatal level.

That's why a proper autopsy takes a great many things into consideration.

CdwJava

Also if two different people stole two different cards from same person on same day and you capture and question one, how can a competent police investigator not be able to id the other one ? A week has gone by and still police cant identity of other one (just have pictures from ATM machines)
Capturing one suspect with one card does NOT mean that you can find the second subject and the second card. Why would you think it would? Unless the first subject rolls over on the second, there is no magic spell the police can cast that will reveal the identity of the second person to them - even with a photo. Photos only help if they have a suspect to compare it to.

justalayman

Prosecutor seemed shocked that their Med Examiner didnt perform the autopsy.
"They" don't have a medical examiner. The medical examiners office is an independent agency under the control of the state attorney generals office.

http://www.me.nj.gov/about.html

http://www.me.nj.gov/investigative-overview.html

CdwJava

Also, if obvious signs drug use in house and a dead body aren't police automatically supposed to order an autopsy ?
Apparently not.

You can check the state medical examiner site that I linked to long ago for more info on the process in your state.

Especially after they finally agreed to come to morgue to see that i was correct that there was a big cut on top of his head a few days later ?
As mentioned loooong agao, the presence of a cut on the top of his head does not necessarily mean there was foul play. I have seen a great many deaths by natural causes, drug overdoses, and alcohol related that included injuries, but they were not at all related to the cause of death or were consistent with a fall or other action.

Why did I have to pay $5000 for an autopsy and then the police to have the nerve to question why or how I found "that NEW YORK doctor ", as if I did something wrong trying to find out how my dad died. Now they are trying to accuse me of wanting them to investigate for murder because of insurance reasons. I told them if I get any insurance money I would gladly bring it to them and burn it...I just want to know what really happened to my father. My first experience with the police is not going too good.
All of this is understandable. But, there is still no way you can force the police to investigate further if they feel the matter has a non-criminal explanation.

Miadora

"They" don't have a medical examiner. The medical examiners office is an independent agency under the control of the state attorney generals office.

http://www.me.nj.gov/about.html

http://www.me.nj.gov/investigative-overview.html
Let me correct that: Prosecutor seemed shocked that "A" med examiner didn't do autopsy ? Maybe the COUNTY med examiner?

Miadora

Apparently not.

You can check the state medical examiner site that I linked to long ago for more info on the process in your state.

As mentioned loooong agao, the presence of a cut on the top of his head does not necessarily mean there was foul play. I have seen a great many deaths by natural causes, drug overdoses, and alcohol related that included injuries, but they were not at all related to the cause of death or were consistent with a fall or other action.

All of this is understandable. But, there is still no way you can force the police to investigate further if they feel the matter has a non-criminal explanation.
Presence of cut (possible concussion) , recent injuries to cheek, forearm, and wrist (all occurred at similar time according to science) AND robbery ?

Miadora

I still need to research signs of asphyxiation and compare those signs with findings in autopsy report. One similarity I found was congestion in neck and chest. Also his face and neck were obviously (to people that knew his when alive) bloated or puffed out as if he were holding his breath. Autopsy was done a week after the viewing and two weeks after embalming . Not sure if that affects lab results but logic tells me it might affect external observational conclusions.

Miadora

If he was smothered by the pillow that was coincidently found on floor near couch and near his face, and was on drugs and fell or was beaten, I don't think there would be any of the typical signs of struggle that commonly accompany asphyxiation.

Miadora

Maybe something can be uncovered if another examiner analyzed the pre-wake photos of face and neck that police took at morgue after I found gash ? I was immediately struck by how he looked like he was holding his breath , no one would notice that who didn't know his physical appearance when alive.

Miadora

When I asked examiner about that being a possible cause of death , the two reasons why not seem to me to not really fit; Blood or fluids not found sucked back up into nose or lungs and no injuries to nose from struggle.

CdwJava

Presence of cut (possible concussion) , recent injuries to cheek, forearm, and wrist (all occurred at similar time according to science) AND robbery ?
"Recent" does not necessarily mean contemporaneous (i.e. during the same incident). Nor do those injuries - by themselves - confirm foul play. As I said, I have been present at a great many deaths where there were injuries that might give rise to such suspicions, but, were not at all a result of foul play that resulted in, or contributed to, the death.

And "robbery?" I suppose you meant to say, "theft." Robbery is a crime conducted through the use of force or fear..

Once again, I remind you, you cannot compel the police to investigate. And, even if they did investigate, you cannot compel them to act. If you want to take the bull by the horns and control any legal action, you would need to identify someone you have grounds to sue and then sue them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">