• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation officer and confidentiality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curiousgeorge23

**OREGON**

Can a Probation officer go through a file, that is not their 'client' and go home and tell their own 17 year old child information about a fellow classmates dad?
I realize what ever is public knowledge is ok, but things that I'm PRETTY SURE you need a release waiver signed by the person on probation themselves.

There is a situation where this probation officer came home and told their 17 year old child information about a childs father, and now he is saying whatever he pleases to that child, and no, its not overly nice things. The dad is not a threat to the public or anything, this was done in MY opinion to be gossipy and malicious.

HomeGuru

**OREGON**

Can a Probation officer go through a file, that is not their 'client' and go home and tell their own 17 year old child information about a fellow classmates dad?
I realize what ever is public knowledge is ok, but things that I'm PRETTY SURE you need a release waiver signed by the person on probation themselves.

There is a situation where this probation officer came home and told their 17 year old child information about a childs father, and now he is saying whatever he pleases to that child, and no, its not overly nice things. The dad is not a threat to the public or anything, this was done in MY opinion to be gossipy and malicious.

**A: the answer is no.

CdwJava

If the information included the probationer's social security number, that could be a problem. If it involved elements of the crime, that is public record.

You can contact the probation officer's supervisor and complain if you choose. And, on the off chance that OR has some unusual law protecting the particular information released, you might consider speaking to an attorney.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">