• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation Violation - How To Fix It?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snbrown

What is the name of your state? Alabama

A couple of years ago my husband violated his probation that stemmed from time served for receiving stolen property. He wants to get it cleared up but we don't know how to go about it. Is there any way to do it without him having to go to jail? We have a baby now and he is the main income for our family.

The reason he violated it was because his ex-wife. She knew he was on probation so she made up a story that he vandalized her property, planted an old cellphone of his and called the police to get him arrested. We found out 2 weeks after the supposed incident that he had warrants relating to the incident. They wouldn't tell us what specifically the charges were for but it had something to do with slashing tires. We panicked and left town. He didn't do it. He was with me and my family the entire day that the incident supposedly happened.

He should've just turned himself in and after he got it cleared up we could've sued her for filing false charges but hindsight is 20/20. Bottom line is he violated his probation and we want desperately to get it cleared up. He hasn't been able to see his child he has with the exwife in 2 years because of all of this. I also need him to be able to stay with us and not go to jail since he is the main provider for our family.

Can anyone help us?

FlyingRon

His ex-wife didn't make him violate his probation. She didn't force him abscond from supervision.

He needs to get in contact with the probation office and turn himself in. A lawyer would probably be helpful.

snbrown

I totally agree that she didn't make him do it. Like I said, we should've done things differently. I also agree with your advice. We don't live in that town anymore - several hours away, in fact. I guess what I really want to know is how this type of thing usually goes. What's the general procedure for something like this? Can an attorney transfer his probation to where we live now?
Thank you!

FlyingRon

If he were in good standing, a transfer of probation (or remote reporting) could be arranged.
However, having absconded, he's going to have to go face the music first and then beg for an exception.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">