• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation Violation Someone Please Give Me Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MIMMI33

What is the name of your state? GEORGIA

IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT PROBATION VIOLATION PLEASE POST,, I REALLY NEED TO KNOW,,,, THANKS SO MUCH

outonbail

MIMMI33 said:
What is the name of your state? GEORGIA

IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT PROBATION VIOLATION PLEASE POST,, I REALLY NEED TO KNOW,,,, THANKS SO MUCH
I can tell you how it goes in California, I imagine it's similar in your state.

At the time you take a plea or are found guilty, but prior to sentencing, you are required to meet with a probation officer for an interview. (If your on formal probation, you should know all of this) The probation officer does an investigation and takes all the information collected from the interview and the investigation and puts together a report for the judge to review when determining your sentence. The report includes the sentence the probation officer feels you should receive as well as whether or not your eligible for probation.

The judge reviews this report and he can follow the recommendation of the probation officer or toss it in the trash and sentence you on his whim. It all comes down to what the judge decides you deserve.

Now, if it is not a violent crime and you have little or no prior criminal record, the judge may sentence you to a medium amount of jail time, for example, six months and suspend the sentence and place you on probation for a couple of years.
When placed on probation, you are given certain terms you must abide by for the entire time your on probation. This includes things like, not break any laws, submit to a search by law enforcement without a warrant, be gainfully employed or a full time student, drug or alcohol classes, pay your fines/restitution, not have or own any weapons, not drive without a valid license and insurance, submit to drug testing, not move or leave the state without prior approval of the probation department etc. etc.

Now if you get caught violating any of these terms, the probation department reports your violation to the court and a hearing date is set where you must appear before the judge and explain why you have violated the term(s) of you're probation. If the judge feels you have a legitimate reason, he can reinstate your probation, or, if he feels your just not taking your probation serious, he can order you to complete your original jail sentence, which in the example I used here, is six months.

budmania

georgia probation

georgia aint no place to mess around, so what do yiou want to know, and what county are you in

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">