• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation Violation, Warrants, and Extradition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrr099

What is the name of your state? AZ

After commiting Assault 2, (a felony commited in 2002) in the state of WA, King County (a strike charge in WA) I was sentenced to 6 mo. in jail with one year of probation (a 13 year no contact order on the victim), there were 2,600.00 or so in fines as well. I pled guilty to all charges, served my time and began probation for a month, followed all of the rules, etc. But, because I was released into a home in which illegal activities took place I was forced to move back home to South Dakota (my original location.) When I got off of my flight my probation officer called me at my home in SD and stated that I did not sign the necessary paperwork to leave the county, and that she wanted me to return to finish it, but it was also likely I was going to get snagged with a violation charge. She then stated she would try to obtain a warrant for me if I did not.

Four years after that, I have moved to Arizona without once answering my probation officer's request. There has been no incident since, which leaves me doubting whether or not there even is a warrant. So, to be on the safe side, I am going to assume that I do -- for probation violation.

Now, I've been living and working here in Arizona for the AOL Time-Warner Co. as a Customer Service represenative and have commited no other crimes. The Assault 2 is the only charge on my record and is my first and only offense.

My ultimate question is this: Should I be stopped or checked by a police officer, and he or she runs my ID, will I be held accountable for a warrant from another state here in Arizona? And, if so, what is my risk of being extradited? How do police officers perform warrant checks/confirmations in Arizona? Would it show up on an Arizona State ID?

And finally, is there a time limmit which applies to warrants in WA for probation violation? I want to get it taken care of and am willing to have probation transfered to me here in AZ. But I do not want to risk having a bunch of new charges to deal with at the same time.

Should I be worried about something right now that I missed?

Last edited:

outonbail

jrr099 said:
What is the name of your state? AZ

After commiting Assault 2, (a felony commited in 2002) in the state of WA, King County (a strike charge in WA) I was sentenced to 6 mo. in jail with one year of probation (a 13 year no contact order on the victim), there were 2,600.00 or so in fines as well. I pled guilty to all charges, served my time and began probation for a month, followed all of the rules, etc. But, because I was released into a home in which illegal activities took place I was forced to move back home to South Dakota (my original location.) When I got off of my flight my probation officer called me at my home in SD and stated that I did not sign the necessary paperwork to leave the county, and that she wanted me to return to finish it, but it was also likely I was going to get snagged with a violation charge. She then stated she would try to obtain a warrant for me if I did not.

Four years after that, I have moved to Arizona without once answering my probation officer's request. There has been no incident since, which leaves me doubting whether or not there even is a warrant. So, to be on the safe side, I am going to assume that I do -- for probation violation.

Now, I've been living and working here in Arizona for the AOL Time-Warner Co. as a Customer Service represenative and have commited no other crimes. The Assault 2 is the only charge on my record and is my first and only offense.

My ultimate question is this: Should I be stopped or checked by a police officer, and he or she runs my ID, will I be held accountable for a warrant from another state here in Arizona? And, if so, what is my risk of being extradited? How do police officers perform warrant checks/confirmations in Arizona? Would it show up on an Arizona State ID?

And finally, is there a time limmit which applies to warrants in WA for probation violation? I want to get it taken care of and am willing to have probation transfered to me here in AZ. But I do not want to risk having a bunch of new charges to deal with at the same time.

Should I be worried about something right now that I missed?
If you have a felony warrant, it doesn't matter what state your in, when your name is ran through NCIC, the warrant will show up and you will be brought to jail in handcuffs.

If it was a misdemeaner warrant, then you probably wouldn't be pulled in on it unless you were stopped within the county who issued it. But a felony warrant, plan on going to jail every time.

Now depending on how busy the authorities are in Wa. they can come to wherever your being held and extradite you back to Wa. Whether they will or not, nobody knows, but you should assume they will and so you should take care of it before such a thing happens.

Even if they decided not to come and get you, you would still have to sit in jail for a set time, to give them the opportunity to come get you. This can be for several weeks, although I can't give you an exact amount of time you would be held. It may even vary from state to state.

The problem is, even if they did not come and get you and you were released after say thirty days in the slammer, the warrant would remain outstanding and every time you get pulled over you would be brought in and the same cycle would keep happening over and over again. It's not worth having this hanging over your head.

You can contact the court clerk in Wa. where this all took place, or possibly the probation department and they may or may not tell you if you have a warrant or not. If this gets you nowhere, then contact an attorney in their area who can dig into the matter for you.

My guess is that you do have a felony warrant out for your arrest,,,,

jrr099

I was pulled over on the 13th. while my roomate was driving. They ran both of our IDs and he didn't even so much as mention an outstanding warrant. Why was this? Was he just being "nice?" or is it because of something else?

But hey, if they decide not to run my ID I wouldn't complain!

I didn't know that probation violation was a felony. I, for some reason, always thought it was a misdemeanor since it would be the first and only time I've violated. The *crime* I commited was a B-Class Felony. I am having a terrible time accepting that refusing to sign a release could lead to something so dire, but I guess worse has happened over less.

Under what kind of circumstances would a probation officer just decide not to persue a warrant after this kind of offense? When I had a relative contact them a while ago it was relayed to her that my particular PO no longer works with the DOC. I assume, then, that it would be passed onto someone else. (I don't know what relevance this has, but I figure it could help get a perspective on it all.)

Is there anything out of the ordinary happening that would explain why I seem to be ignored? Not that I have a problem with it of course. It grants me more time to prepare for paying off my fines and to get a lawyer. Under either circumstances the issue is going to be resolved, it's just that I prefer the route I am currently taken. I do not however want to advocate that people should just go ahead and exploit the loopholes they are presented. They certainly don't look too good in front of a judge either.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">