• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Procedural Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Armandine

What laws, rules or statutes govern how long police need to wait before arresting, detaining and questioning a suspect who is hospitalized for a drug overdose?

My niece was removed from her hospital bed against her physician's recommendation after having overdosed on drugs. I am filing an 11.07 writ.

Indiana Filer

What laws, rules or statutes govern how long police need to wait before arresting, detaining and questioning a suspect who is hospitalized for a drug overdose?

My niece was removed from her hospital bed against her physician's recommendation after having overdosed on drugs. I am filing an 11.07 writ.
Are you the legal guardian for your niece? Are you a licensed attorney in your (unnamed) state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Are you the legal guardian for your niece? Are you a licensed attorney in your (unnamed) state?
I suspect Texas...and I suspect that there is a HUGE amount left out of this story.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CR/htm/CR.11.htm

Just Blue

U.S. Law Only. Please name your State.

CdwJava

The laws governing when the police can arrest, detain or question a suspect vary by state and by circumstance, and are widely varied since they are entirely different concepts!

As you state your niece was "removed" from her bed, I assume you meant that she was taken into custody (i.e. arrested) by the police while in the hospital. If so, the police CAN generally do this. However, if she suffers harm being arrested while she is still in NEED of medical services, and did not also want to leave, then (assuming she is an adult) she can sue for the damages. Such an arrest would not make it per se unlawful, however, and if this is TX, the 11.07 writ appears to have to do with post-conviction relief, which would not generally be concerning an arrest.

As a note, one CAN leave against a doctor's medical advice. The police can even make an arrest against said advice. However, most jails will not accept a booking of a prisoner who is in current need of treatment. If some harm should result from the transfer from a medical facility, then that prisoner/patient may well have grounds for civil action.

So, a few more details would be helpful.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
There is no reason why this person cannot remain in the hospital while in police custody - I see no reason why she would need to be physically removed.

CdwJava

There is no reason why this person cannot remain in the hospital while in police custody - I see no reason why she would need to be physically removed.
Which leads me to wonder what else is going on. And, whether the facts are as they are being alluded to here.

It could be that the patient/suspect was wanting to leave or prepared to go, so the police decided to hook her up since she was leaving anyway. Who knows?

Oh, and as for remaining in police custody at the hospital ... well, the bean counters might object since they might then adopt the hospital bill. Typically the police will NOT make the arrest until the subject is medically cleared, but, there are exceptions - drug abuse is not one of them. So, there's something else going on here that either the OP did not relate or did not know.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">