• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

procedure for a robbery?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BOOSAM

My state is new york.
If my house was robbed,what is police procedure? I know exactly who robbed the house. Do the cops get in touch with the accused, or is it my word against their's. I also could name everything they took from a to z.
I am not too fond of cops, they really aren't helpful, as a matter of fact there down right nasty.
The house is my ex-husbands mother;s house. She left it to my ex-husband, and he left everything to me and my son. They broke into to the house once before, I called the cops, the cops stated neither one of us were allowed in the house until we got court papers. I got the court papers, which gave me permission to enter the house. When I went to the house they already took everything. My lawyer told me there is nothing I can do. They even admitted to me they took everything and laughed about it. I obeyed the law, where as they didn't, they dont get punished at all. I am at the end of my rope. So what would be police procedure if I went to the cops.
I did go to the cops they said there was nothing I could do. I would have to call 911 and fill out a police report, they said it wouldnt do me any good. Why? My six year old not only lost his father, but also everything his father left him. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks for your time.

CdwJava

If YOUR attorney said there was nothing you could do, I can only assume that there was something inconclusive about the will, the transfer papwerwork, title, etc.

If it's too muddy for criminal charges, you can talk to an attorney about a civil suit. But, if your attorney already said you have no case, then don't hold your breath for another opinion.

However, it won't hurt to consult attorneys for a civil suit ... who knows, maybe your guy was wrong or just not all that hip on the status if this kind of law.

- Carl

BOOSAM

Thanks Carl

Carl.....just wanted to thank-you for taking the time to answer my post.
I don't think my lawyer is to hip to this case. Every time I speak to him it's a different story. He also took as long as three weeks to return any of my calls.
When he finally did answer, nothing he was suppose to do was done.
I can't pull out now, ten-thousand dollas later.....we are almost at the end.
First he said by christmas I could put the house up for sale, when I spoke to him yesterday, after avoiding me for two weeks, he said january.

When I told him about everything that was stolen, he told me not to worry we will get everything back, they would have to go to court and explain.
As of yesterday he never even notified them about the stuff. That's why I think I should of filed a police report. What do the cop do? Will they confront the family?

acmb05

ok

BOOSAM said:
Carl.....just wanted to thank-you for taking the time to answer my post.
I don't think my lawyer is to hip to this case. Every time I speak to him it's a different story. He also took as long as three weeks to return any of my calls.
When he finally did answer, nothing he was suppose to do was done.
I can't pull out now, ten-thousand dollas later.....we are almost at the end.
First he said by christmas I could put the house up for sale, when I spoke to him yesterday, after avoiding me for two weeks, he said january.

When I told him about everything that was stolen, he told me not to worry we will get everything back, they would have to go to court and explain.
As of yesterday he never even notified them about the stuff. That's why I think I should of filed a police report. What do the cop do? Will they confront the family?

This house was left to you when your husband died?

Noone can go into or take anything from the house until it has gone thru probate and someone gets possesion of it.

Are his relatives fighting the will?

He probably wont notify them about the stuff he will wait till he gets them under oath before confronting them on it.

Who has control of the house now, is it the probate court? If so notify them that possesions are being or have been taken from the home.

Last edited:

CdwJava

acmb05 makes a good point about probate. Where does that stand? And what was the standing of the house at the time the property was taken? Was it in anyone else's name? Was anyone else living there at the time of his death or before you gained title? Do you HAVE title?

BOOSAM said:
That's why I think I should of filed a police report. What do the cop do? Will they confront the family?
The police are very likely to write this off as a civil matter at this point. You claim the house is yours, the family will contend it wasn't, and it will end up being a matter of who can prove ownership and possession in civil court.

Not knowing all the circumstances I can't predict with any great accuracy how seriously they will take the matter, but in most cases like this it ends up in civil court and not criminal court.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">