• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

procedures in alabama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nosferatu58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? georgia, what are the correct procedures for inmates after being arrested in alabama

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? georgia, what are the correct procedures for inmates after being arrested in alabama
What do you mean? I suppose after an arrest, they are typically booked into jail with fingerprints and photographs.

Perhaps if you explain what kind of information you are looking for?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Why did you mention Georgia if you mean Alabama?

It would help if you explained the point of your question.

nosferatu58

clarification on procedures in alabama

I had a cabinet shop in Floyd co. Georgia. I rented my shop from a senior county commissioner. There were other people who had keys and access to my shop, these people came and went as they pleased. I'm going to try and condense this. There was a fire at my shop Feb. 17th 2009. At the time i was back and forth to Fort Payne Ala. visiting my recently divorced girlfriend. My soon to be ex wife was in constant communication with my gf's ex husband, i'm sure you can see where i'm going. As soon as i heard of the fire which was minimal, i might add i contacted an atty who instructed me not to speak to anyone (items to manufacture meth were found in the garbage can where the fire started) he also instructed me to stay in Alabama since i was already there, until he could find out more details. Feb.27th 2009 the task force came to my house asking to speak to me, my wife informed them that i was in Alabama(they served no warrant and they left) the atty i had contacted was calling everyday checking on the status of a warrant for me if any and was repeatedly told there was no warrant.(all the way up to 3-11-09) On March 11, 2009 i checked in the motel at De Soto state park 5 minutes from downtown Ft. Payne (checked in under my name with my current vehicle registration) spent the night. the next morning March 12, 2009 my girlfriend came to have breakfast with me and then left. I checked out and as i was leaving the park was pulled over by the park ranger and he said the Dekalb county drug task force wanted to know if i was "still" there. He was instructed to detain me, and was told that they would be there in about 30 minutes. I was handcuffed and detained awaiting their arrival. I should add that my girlfriends ex had her followed that morning to discover my whereabouts(he holds me responsible for their divorce). And he also has a good friend on the Ft. Payne police dept. After about 30 minutes a 4 door black chevy truck with no markings of any kind arrived and two men got out only one of them spoke to me told me his name flashed a badge and said he had a fugitive from justice warrant for me from Floyd county Ga. based on a drug manufacturing warrant. I asked him how long he had the warrant and he told me about 30 minutes. I asked to see the warrant and he told me no and said "I've got it". He then informed me that he had credible information that i was at the park making meth in my room. I volunteered for blood and urine test. The cop asked permission to search my room and my vehicle and i consented to both. After searching my room, my trash, and my vehicle and finding nothing they declined on my offer for blood and urine testing. The second cop never said a word or showed a badge he just stood around looking at me thru very dark sunglasses. They put me in the back seat of the truck, i was still handcuffed with my hands in front of me no other restraints. A loose shotgun was laying between the 2 front seats with the butt of the gun there for me to grab if i was so inclined. The cop that did all of the talking used his cell phone to call someone when they answered he said "I've got your boy" and hung up. within 2 or 3 minutes my girlfriend received a call from her ex bragging that i had been arrested at the park. I had not even made it to the task force office yet. Upon arriving at the task force office they asked if i was going to fight being sent back to Ga. I said no that i had done nothing wrong and they had me sign an extradition waiver (that i later found out was supposed to be signed in front of a judge) after this the silent cop was dismissed and he went on his way. Later i found out the silent cop was the good friend of my girlfriends ex. They removed my handcuffs gave me back all of my property ie; my knife with a 4 inch blade, my id. my cigs & lighter my cell phone and walked me down the street to the old city jail and left me outside with the janitor outside on the sidewalk where i stood around free to run if i wanted to.(since i had all of my property keys to my vehicle and everything) About an hour later a female deputy showed up and rehandcuffed me and took me to the jail at the S.O. I was booked in at about 3:30 or 4:00 that afternoon. The next morning i requested my blood pressure meds that they took out of my truck. An officer came and pulled me out of the pod and informed me that i had a $1,200.00 bond. I asked a bond for what that i had no charges in Alabama? I asked again how i have a bond when im arrested on a fugitive from justice warrant and that i had simply requested my blood pressure meds. he said he didnt know about my meds that he had been sent back to inform me that i had a bond, the door opened and i was sent back inside. Fast forward to March 18, 2009 they finally pull me out to go see a judge, the staff sargeant at the jail a very nice fellow told me he was going to try to get the judge to release me O.R because they had no reason to hold me.(i have been in jail for 6 days at this point and have had no 1st appearance, shown no warrant, nothing) when the judge got to me he looked up at me and asked "Mr. -------- why are you even here. before i could respond a little guy in a suit whispered in the judges ear and the judge looked at me mumbled something about a warrant and said I cant release you Floyd county Ga. is coming after you this afternoon. the judge then asked me to sign an extradition waiver, and i did so. I then asked to see the warrant and the judge said he didnt have it. Later that evening a Floyd county deputy came and picked me up and while driving back to Ga. asked me, "what happened Mr.---------- did you get picked up at a routine traffic stop. I responded no, and asked why? He asked if my address was still the same in Floyd county and i informed him that it was. He said damn i havent even had a chance to go by your house looking for you yet, this warrant just came down this afternoon about 4:00 oclock (3-18-09) and i was sent over here to pick you up. I got to Floyd county and was booked in that evening. the next morning i had a first appearance immediately. This is worse than one of those cheap Lifetime channel movies. I feel my rights were violated across the board with a bunch of good ole boy bull---* between Floyd county Ga. and Dekalb county Alabama. Were the right procedure's and protocols followed. were my rights violated?

dave33

That's a fine mess. I would say without a doubt the fact they found drug para. changes things. "Were the right procedure's and protocols followed"? I would say, they were followed closely enough. "Were your rights violated'? It could be, but they may have a certain way of doing things. The minute they found all the drug material at your residence, it opened up alot of doors for law enforcement. At the same time it ruined your credibility. I understand your frustration about how the whole situation transpired, but I can't think of an answer for a single allegation of harrasment which translated into criminal charges. I guess it all comes down to (once again) how can/will you put towards this? If you feel strongly that you were wronged, how much of a chance (trial) are you willing to take? There may be a couple of things that you could capatalize on in court, you just need the right lawyer with the right material. Right now you have to give it some time and see how things work out. Lawyer a.s.a.p. goodluck.

nosferatu58

there was no drug para. found at my residence. that stuff was found at a shop where other people had keys and access. i was arrested in alabama where they searched and found nothing, and was kept in jail for a week on a warrant that did not exist until the day i was transported back to georgia, and what of the bond issue of $1200.00 on a supposed fugitive from justice warrant based on a manufacturing warrant that did not exist on march 12 2009, that warrant was not actually issued until march 18th 2009. am i confused, i thought warrants were the instrument that gives the police the right to arrest you for something specific. not arrest you and then a week later produce the warrant? what about 1st appearance in alabama?

dave33

I see, I did not fully understand your situation. I am not from Alabama, however, it does seem like maybe you have a case. Seems like a lot of information to process. Hopefully you will have a lawyer look into this. I realize you have several issues to think about. No body can predict what will happen, but these things may take time to resolve. Also, you need the report, there's two sides to every story. You are not yet sure what you are up against. goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">