• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Profanity to a cop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Ops

What is the name of your state? CA

Can you legally say **** you to a Cop? and he will not arrest you or otherwise? I have heard if you are really loud or something that they can write you a ticket.

CdwJava

Ops said:
What is the name of your state? CA

Can you legally say **** you to a Cop? and he will not arrest you or otherwise? I have heard if you are really loud or something that they can write you a ticket.
Its not against the law to curse at the officer ... though if your actions distract him from his duty you COULD be arrested for obstructing a peace officer in the performance of his duty in CA - but it would have to be a lot more than just muttering your disagreement.

There are also some jurisdictions that have ordinances against profanity in public, in front of women or children, or some such thing ... they are not really enforceable, but they could still result ina court date.

Also understand that attitude is a big factor in what (if anything) you get cited for. If someone I stop is a loudmouth jerk, I may opt to write him/her for several violations where I had intended to write for one.

Being polite does have its benefits.

Carl

L

learningasIgo

When dealing with police, be polite. It doesn't hurt.

But more importantly, you need to remember that cops have a LIFE THREATENING job. They NEED to be careful. They never know if the next person they pull over for jaywalking or driving with a busted taillight is carrying a sawed off shotgun and feels like they've wasted their money if they never get to use it.

Your job is to help the cop understand that you aren't a threat to his life. Once he or she realizes this, things will go better. The cop might even realize that you are helping him or her do his job, and might take that into account when deciding to cite you or not.

It's always a good thing to help someone else do their job. They'll be grateful.

O

okamsrazor

LOL learning! All cops are pigs. Dont be overly rude, but their job is to write as many tickets as they can so they can support the salary increases their union demands. I mean they are there to serve and protect, right? So why just rely on taxes for income when they can generate revenue by preying on those they are supposed to be protecting!

BelizeBreeze

LOL learning! All cops are pigs. Dont be overly rude, but their job is to write as many tickets as they can so they can support the salary increases their union demands. I mean they are there to serve and protect, right? So why just rely on taxes for income when they can generate revenue by preying on those they are supposed to be protecting!
What a disgusting little maggot you are.

So, you think all the cops do is write tickets? Of course you do.

You've never walked in to your home to find someone you loved dead. You've never called 911 for help and recognized that even before the EMTs arrived, even before the lifeFlight helicopter landed, the first person on the scene was a cop.

You Never sat with that "PIG" trying to make sense out of someone you loved deeply putting a gun to their head to say goodbye, and that 'PIG' sitting there with you for as long as you needed just to talk.

No, from your tone you never have had that happen. And even for such a disgusting little maggot I wouldn't wish it on you. But I have. Three days ago in fact.

So take your disgusting little vendetta someplace else. It's not playing here.

O

okamsrazor

Way to revive a dead thread! Way to go! Flattery will get you nowhere by the way.

You seem to have ignored all my points to try to tell me that if the piggys are not writing traffic tickets my loved ones would all be dead. Interesting concept since I do not see a connection. I am pretty sure I have never seen a cop chase away a criminal from inside my house. See if a criminal DOES get in there, I have my friends Smith and Wesson to protect me...not a cop and his traffic book.

JETX

okamsrazor said:
their job is to write as many tickets as they can so they can support the salary increases their union demands
Nice attempted spin.... and only one a criminal can understand.
Simply, laws are created by an 'authorized agency' (legislature, city council, etc.). The police to NOT create the laws.

However, the police officer takes an oath to uphold and enforce the laws. If you have a bitch about them doing their job, then your choices are very simple:
1) Don't break the law, or
2) Get the 'authorized agency' to change the law you don't like.

Don't sit there like a whiney ass punk kid and bitch because the officer is simply doing his JOB. You want a different perspective on this this?? All you have to do is call your local police department and ask if you can do a 'ride-along' with an on-duty officer. I bet that after a few hours of SERIOUS police 'duty', you will be crying and peeing in your shorts.

BelizeBreeze

Listen maggot, I have better things to do than play games with you. But just so you understand (as if that mattered) I was arrested in 1979 for Battery on a Police Officer. I have also had my problems with law enforcement. But to lump each and every officer into your prejudice is simply childish.

You want to hang on to your beliefs then you go right ahead. I have a funeral to arrange and two of the 'guests' at that funeral will be the police to cared enough to help me understand the pain I am still dealing with. Even as they were performing the GSR, VSA and the Fingerprint tests.

O

okamsrazor

JETX said:
Q. Simply, laws are created by an 'authorized agency' (legislature, city council, etc.). The police to NOT create the laws.
A. Agreed. HOWEVER, the polcie union does influnce politicians. One of their ways to get more money for police raises and benefits is to have more traffic laws in place such as lower speed limits etc.

Q. Don't sit there like a whiney ass punk kid and bitch because the officer is simply doing his JOB.

A. They are doing their job, they are told to go write tickets.

Q. You want a different perspective on this this?? All you have to do is call your local police department and ask if you can do a 'ride-along' with an on-duty officer. I bet that after a few hours of SERIOUS police 'duty', you will be crying and peeing in your shorts.

A. Thanks I already did. I did a "ride along" for 4 months during college. 40hrs a week actually. They had a quota of 8 tickets every 12 hr shift, one of which was to be a DUI if the shift was after 10 pm. In fact I was told their rasies were dependant on how many tickets they could write and get to stick. That .00001% of the time they did anything besides traffic enforcement was petty drug related items.

Are you REALLY telling me JETX that you can not understand that traffic tickets is a big buisness? If it wasn't would we have speed traps? Would we have small town cars patrolling highways to generate additional revenue?

From the links "The number of traffic tickets issued annually has dropped from an average of 5,500 per month in 1997 to 3,600 per month so far this year. Similar numbers can be seen during the past five years. The reduction in tickets written translates into a loss in revenues for the city from $3.5 million in 1997 to $2.4 million in 2002. Less than $2 million in fine revenues have been turned over to the city so far this year."

http://www.cortezjournal.com/archives/1news343.htm

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/html/873235B4-C37B-4D3A-8B87-6D42047C6B95.shtml

JETX

okamsrazor said:
A. Agreed. HOWEVER, the polcie union does influnce politicians. One of their ways to get more money for police raises and benefits is to have more traffic laws in place such as lower speed limits etc.
Tell ya' what?? Prove your statement!! Provide ANY link to any published source to prove that it is the intent of police officers to enact more traffic laws so that the city can profit.
Come on... you should be able to back up what you say.

"They are doing their job, they are told to go write tickets."
*** No they are not. They are told to ENFORCE the laws. And if in so doing, they catch you BREAKING the laws, then they will ticket you. It is YOUR choice on whether to get a ticket or not.

"Thanks I already did. I did a "ride along" for 4 months during college. 40hrs a week actually."
*** Yea, right!!! You expect us to believe that your claim of four months as a 'rent-a-cop' at college was real experience. How about riding in a one man unit in the dark of night, in some of the baddest parts of town..... for several years!! Then, and only then, can you claim you have 'experience'. But I didn't ask for you to ride around the college campus in a golf cart!!

"They had a quota of 8 tickets every 12 hr shift, one of which was to be a DUI if the shift was after 10 pm."
*** And if you believe that, you are a bigger idiot than your posts imply. Granted, it is EXPECTED that an officer on the street should see LOTS of violations..... and yes, I think that a ticket every 90 minutes is NOT an unreasonable EXPECTATION by the department. If an officer didn't have at least one ticket every 90 minutes, I would think that he found himself a 'hidey-hole'.

"In fact I was told their rasies were dependant on how many tickets they could write and get to stick. That .00001% of the time they did anything besides traffic enforcement was petty drug related items."
*** In fact, you were told wrong!! There are LOTS of things that go toward determining and officers advancement in the department. And unlike private sector, an officer doesn't just get 'raises'.... and certanly NOT based on ticket production.

"Are you REALLY telling me JETX that you can not understand that traffic tickets is a big buisness? If it wasn't would we have speed traps? Would we have small town cars patrolling highways to generate additional revenue?"
*** Depends on where you are. In my state, a town cannot receive more than a certain percentage of their general revenue from traffic enforcement. Anything over that percentage goes to the states general fund.
And don't misunderstand, traffic enforcement IS a big revenue generator.... but only because there are violations to be written. Don't violate the law... don't get a ticket. Seems pretty simple to me.

Are you really saying that an officer should not issue a traffic citation when he sees a violation?? Or maybe you are saying that they should let every violator driving a red car have a 'free pass'. Or maybe, only 20-something blondes with big boobs should not be cited for their violations. You have to draw the line SOMEWHERE.... and the best place to draw it is at the violator. Simply.... break the law, get a ticket or arrest. Don't break the law, don't get a ticket or arrest. Again, seems might simple to me..... and not any part of a grand 'ticket citation conspiracy'.

CdwJava

In addition to Belize's comments (and I have been on both sides of his comments - as a recipient of service, and consoling the survivors), and JETX's answers ...

""""A. Agreed. HOWEVER, the polcie union does influnce politicians. One of their ways to get more money for police raises and benefits is to have more traffic laws in place such as lower speed limits etc."

In CA we make more money for the city on parking citations than we could ever make on traffic cites. The revenue per cite on a traffic cite in minimal, AND its capped by law. We max out 4 to 5 months into the fiscal year,a nd the amount received does not come close to compensating for the time spent on traffic enforcement anyway. So this argument is a useless waste of bandwidth.

If we wanted to make money, we would take everyone off the street and hand them a chalk stick instead of a radar gun.

""""A. They are doing their job, they are told to go write tickets."

Part of the job is to enforce the law. And those laws include traffic violations. Additionally, more wanted criminals are found in traffic stops than are found while actively searching for them. And in my town we solve more property crimes on traffic stops than any other single method ... the bad guys tend to have the stuff still in their possession when they get stopped, and they tend to NOT have liceses or be on probation so we end up being able to search the cars.

Yes, we do our jobs. And that includes tickets. Or would you rather they hang at the local Krispy Kreme and sip coffee between radio calls?

""""A. Thanks I already did. I did a "ride along" for 4 months during college. 40hrs a week actually. They had a quota of 8 tickets every 12 hr shift, one of which was to be a DUI if the shift was after 10 pm. In fact I was told their rasies were dependant on how many tickets they could write and get to stick. That .00001% of the time they did anything besides traffic enforcement was petty drug related items."

I don't know about your state, but quotas are illegal in CA. And, my guess is that they are at least questionable everywhere else. And if they were to ld to focus so narrowly on traffic, I would have to seriously question the administration of the agency ... which has nothing to do with the actions of the officers who are fulfilling that direction.

""""Are you REALLY telling me JETX that you can not understand that traffic tickets is a big buisness? If it wasn't would we have speed traps? Would we have small town cars patrolling highways to generate additional revenue?"

And traffic collisions are big problems. I can't speak for the deep south or podunk agencies in backwater states, but in most places moving citations are NOT big revenue generators for a jurisdiction. This is a myth perpetuated by ... someone. In CA I can guarantee that it is NOT a big revenue source. In fact, our budget sessions rarely count on that as you can virtually guarantee that you will receive the maximum reimbursement since it IS so small.

Your local agency and state laws may be different than ours.

But, the bottom line is that your mischaracterization of what law enforcement officers do is sad. And if you think I'm getting rich doing what I do, boy, are YOU mistaken! My family was eligible for public assistance three years ago on my salary. And I took a 34% pay cut to come work here from southern CA ... yeah, we're in it for the money.

I won't even begin to relate the experiences I've had in my short 13 year career thus far as I doubt you would give a rat's tail end. You're so caught up in your own selfishness that you can't see what the job might really be like.

And that's just sad. Too bad.

Now, go play somewhere else like a good little lad.

Carl

dequeendistress

And traffic collisions are big problems. I can't speak for the deep south or podunk agencies in backwater states, but in most places moving citations are NOT big revenue generators for a jurisdiction
FOR your info, Sir, these are not revenue generators in backwater states or podunk ones, as you refer. This comes from personal knowledge as I believe I reside and my employment is in such state which would meet your definition of said.

Bottom LINE IF YOU Cannot RESPECT the person, Respect the UNIFORM and refrain from such CHILDISH behavior. HELL, s/he can't hear you cursing them under your breath as you calmy pull away from the stop.

Believe me at some time in your worthless life, you or someone you care for will need the assistance of law enforcement authorities. But I could be wrong as you probably only care for yourself and your self-righteous
excuses to be an ASS.

Police officers don't give a DAMN about revenue. Paperwork yes. But I will tell you one thing I would stay past end of shift, without pay, to write a fifteen page report on your cursing me, and do so gladly, without compensation.

Snivel elsewhere.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">