• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protective Order Nonsense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1Peter169

What is the name of your state? Iowa
My abusive wife used a protective order to get me out of the house. Then she filed for divorce. During our pre-trial meeting, she mockingly rubbed my back. Her lawyer was standing right there, saw it happen and did nothing. Although I'm the one with the P.O. against me, do I not have any rights of protection? Can I file a protective order against her?

JETX

1Peter169 said:
do I not have any rights of protection? Can I file a protective order against her?
Yep. You can file for one... against anyone you want. Whether the court will grant it or not.... is something else. :D

outonbail

You want to file a protective order against her for rubbing your back?

You can file whatever you want to, but it may look like petty bickering to the Judge. Unless you can show where her rubbing your back is threatening or has the potential to do you harm.

Can staying an arms length away from her accomplish the same thing as the protective order?

Don't play into her game and ask the court to intervene, it may have you looking petty and irrational and you don't want the Judge to think your using the court like it's a game of tit for tat.

1Peter169

outonbail said:
You want to file a protective order against her for rubbing your back?
Yes! She knew I wouldn't want her touching me and she did it only to get me upset, which I did. Of course it makes me look bad.

Turns out, I got a hearing scheduled on having my protective order lifted and having one placed on her. Whether or not I'll get it is yet to be seen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">