• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Psychologically coerced???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Raprile

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

A week ago, my boyfriend and I were "caught in the act" for burglary. We were both arrested and I was held for 3 days then released on a signature bond(my b/f is on parole and is on a hold). When I got back to my apartment I found 4 cops sitting in my dining room. They had searched my house that morning( it was 3:30 pm by then)and were waiting for me to get home. They started asking me questions about 'stolen property' and wouldn't accept "I don't know what you're talking about." got all pissed off and arrested me. The next day they took me in for questioning(from my cell because I was still sitting or yet, again). They used the fact that I was vunerable, shaken, scared of incarceration, and the "we don't want you" line to get me to talk. I was in there for about 2 hours with no Miranda rights read. They eventually got me to write a statement ( they wrote it, I signed it).

My problem is I regret not getting an attorney. I was so messed up in the head that a don't even remember what my statement says! Are there any laws that could help me get my statements thrown out?? I also found out that the reason for the search was a phone call I made to my mother saying I needed to get out of jail and when I did I was going to have to move out of my apartment because I couldn't afford it alone. They took it as, I needed to get STUFF out of my apartment. My other charges are in another county than the one I live in, also.

HomeGuru

Raprile said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

A week ago, my boyfriend and I were "caught in the act" for burglary. We were both arrested and I was held for 3 days then released on a signature bond(my b/f is on parole and is on a hold). When I got back to my apartment I found 4 cops sitting in my dining room. They had searched my house that morning( it was 3:30 pm by then)and were waiting for me to get home. They started asking me questions about 'stolen property' and wouldn't accept "I don't know what you're talking about." got all pissed off and arrested me. The next day they took me in for questioning(from my cell because I was still sitting or yet, again). They used the fact that I was vunerable, shaken, scared of incarceration, and the "we don't want you" line to get me to talk. I was in there for about 2 hours with no Miranda rights read. They eventually got me to write a statement ( they wrote it, I signed it).

My problem is I regret not getting an attorney. I was so messed up in the head that a don't even remember what my statement says! Are there any laws that could help me get my statements thrown out?? I also found out that the reason for the search was a phone call I made to my mother saying I needed to get out of jail and when I did I was going to have to move out of my apartment because I couldn't afford it alone. They took it as, I needed to get STUFF out of my apartment. My other charges are in another county than the one I live in, also.
**A: there is a lot more to your story.
Hire an attorney that will believe you.

R

Raprile

All I'm asking is if there are any loopholes that anyone knows about that can get my statement thrown out if there are any charges pressed against my boyfriend and it goes to trial??

There's a lot more to the story but it's irrelevent

stephenk

if you can give me a good reason why I would want you and your boyfriend to "get off" on the burglary charges that you admit to committing, I will provide you with the loophole you need to get the statement thrown out.

R

Raprile

This is supposed to be a legal advice page, not a moral judgement site! I admit what was done was wrong but I'm trying to find some answers. If I wanted to be judged, I'd go to my grandmother's house!!!!!

If you can help, please do!

Something else to add about the statements, I repeated told the police questioning me I had a lawyer because they kept asking me questions about the other county. For them to continue questioning, would that be a violation of my Miranda rights??

R

Raprile

I'm beginning to think that this website is a joke. Free Advice my a**!!!

I hope this is fun for you...

stephenk

if you paid me to represent you in the criminal charges, I would take your money and give you proper legal advice.

Since this is a free advice board, I have the option of not giving you advice. I have the same right even if you came to me as a potential client and I decided not to take your case. Just because you ask doesnt mean you should be given an answer.

You may have to learn that you shouldnt steal and maybe some jail time is good for you and your "boyfriend/thief/partner" to straighten up your lives.

so once again, give me a good reason why I should help you and then I will. Please dont argue the old "Only God should be the one to pass judgment" reason.

P.S. So what does your Grandma say about the mess you are in?

HomeGuru

Yes, only God and the presiding Judge should be the ones to pass judgement.
That is, unless it is a trial by jury.

R

Raprile

The statements that the police got out of me we're taken illegally and I am now aware of that. My rights were violated and though I was wrong in some decisions I've made in the past, it gives no one the right to deprive me of my basic constitutional rights! I was not read my rights before questioning and under Miranda vs. Arizona, it is in clear violation.
My problem is still this, the only cases I am able to come up with involve statements used to incriminate the person who has written them. In my statements, I not only incriminated myself, but someone else.
All of this is to save someone else, not me. I want to know if there is any way to suppress or dismiss my statements from incriminating the other person.

R

Raprile

I'd also like to add that I clearly expressed to the officers that I had retained counsel and questioning still continued...

P.S. My grandma thinks that just because I'm out of jail now, that all of this is done and over with. Which clearly gives reason to why I really need your help:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">