• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Defender fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lvbinalaska

What is the name of your state? Alaska. Can a county court in Idaho make you pay a public defender after one has been apointed to you?

L

lvbinalaska

Public defender fees

I was always under the immpression that when the court appointed you a public defender it was because you could not afford one and one is being provided to you free of charge. How do they decide to then charge you? And how much to charge? And suppose you were a minor?

stephenk

if a determination is made that you can pay for the services, even at a reduced rate, you can be made to reimburse the PD for their representation of you.

If the defendant is a minor, the parents/guardians could be made to pay.

L

lvbinalaska

public defender fees

This is regarding my son who was 15 at the time. He was living with his father. I am waiting for him to send me a copy of his file so I can see just what has occurred. He insists he had to pay $250 for his public defender. At the time he lived at home, was going to school, and did not work. He said his dad didn't have to pay...he did. Can you give me an idea of why this could happen? He had additional fines, went to the detention cener and was on probation in addition. I do know that he and his father would DEFINATELY qualify for a free public defender.

C

cjabg

Fee is based on income. If you are found not guilty the defense is free but you have to pay court costs. Fee's are usually around 150.00. This info I found for washington state, I am sure all states vary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">