• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

public defender - is a spouse responsible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pk13

What is the name of your state?
NY

My husband was arrested and is now in jail. He had been out of the house for a month when this occurred and as far as I know was on public assistance. They called me from the Public Defenders office today to find out my income. Are they going to hold me responsible for his court costs??

JETX

"My husband was arrested and is now in jail. He had been out of the house for a month when this occurred and as far as I know was on public assistance. They called me from the Public Defenders office today to find out my income. Are they going to hold me responsible for his court costs??"
*** Your income will be added to his to determine his eligibility for access to public assistance. I doubt that they will attempt to collect from you.... even though you are STILL married.

P

pk13

thanks for your response

I also forgot to add we have a son as well....and I didn't even think about the incomes being added together...and he hasn't had one in FOREVER. Thanks for your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">