• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Intoxication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

btipsword1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Ok, so this weekend I was on campus at the bars, and somehow wound up outside of a campus building puking ( I think ) waiting on my friend to come pick me up and take me home. I got arrested and taken to the county jail and was charged with public intoxication. I spend the night there.. (3ish am till 1230) or so pm.. I am 21 years old and have had a DUI charge in ILLINOIS, but now live in alabama. No one would answer my calls, (awesome) so i had to call a scumbag bail bondsman.. I have 1 piece of paper from this whole thing, and I'm a little confused on what it means... It reads.. I, xxxxxxx (defendant) as principal and I (WE) (undersigned) as surities agree to pay the Municipality of xxxxxxx Alabama the sum of $300 (not to exceed $1,000) AND ALL COSTS INCURRED IN THIS COURT UNLESS THE ABOVE SIGNED DEFENDANT APPEARS BEFORE THE COURT ON blablabla at blablabla time. and from time to time therafter until discharged by law to answer to the charge of public intoxication or any other charge as authorized by law.
ok so.. #1. what does this letter even mean? is it saying that im ok since i paid my $300? or is it saying i still will have to appear in court?
#2.. if i do go to court.. i think i would probably just do it on my own.. or with a public defender.. as im poor as dirt.. But i am worried that my previous dui charge will hinder my sentencing. anyone help me at all? pleasse?
Thanks

outonbail

I, xxxxxxx (defendant) as principal and I (WE) (undersigned) as surities agree to pay the Municipality of xxxxxxx Alabama the sum of $300 (not to exceed $1,000) AND ALL COSTS INCURRED IN THIS COURT UNLESS THE ABOVE SIGNED DEFENDANT APPEARS BEFORE THE COURT ON blablabla at blablabla time. and from time to time therafter until discharged by law to answer to the charge of public intoxication or any other charge as authorized by law.

ok so.. #1. what does this letter even mean? is it saying that im ok since i paid my $300? or is it saying i still will have to appear in court?
It is saying you promise to appear at the time, on the date and in the court your case will be heard in and on every other date the case is scheduled on, or you/bail bondsman promise to pay a default fine, which is a minimum of $300 up to $1,000.00, plus court costs which can run another $200.00 - $300,00.
#2.. if i do go to court.. i think i would probably just do it on my own.. or with a public defender.. as im poor as dirt.. But i am worried that my previous dui charge will hinder my sentencing. anyone help me at all? pleasse?
Thanks
Apparently the maximum fine will be $1,000.00 + court costs, which, due to your prior DUI, you will most likely receive either way.

You could appear and ask the DA if you plead guilty what the fine amount will be. He may tell you before you plead guilty, or he may say it's up to the judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">