• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Intoxication Citation In Vehicle Procedure Question in Lancaster,PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

azdark99

The state of reference for this question is Pennsylvania, Lancaster county PA to be exact.

After a night of drinking with some friends I noticed I was becoming intoxicated, so I left the bar well before last call. Getting into my truck (which was parked legally along a street adjacent to the bar), I realized that I was in no condition to drive. I decided that rather than attempt to drive under the influence, I would merely sleep for a few hours in my vehicle and get home when I was not intoxicated. I knew enough to keep my keys out of the ignition and stowed them away. I took off my glasses (which I am legally blind without) and reclined my seat to rest. Approximately 2 hours later, I was awakened by officers knocking on my window, the officer asked me where I lived and too see my ID which I produced. After that they asked me to exit the vehicle where they observed that I was intoxicated (According to the citation it was an "on view" arrest, where I displayed a danger to myself and others in public, (PA code 5505)). They then handcuffed me and took me to the precinct, still without my glasses and asked me to sign a statement which I refused due to the fact that I couldn't read it, and then they threw me in the drunk tank overnight. This is my first "offense". My question is, what determines "public" intoxication as I was in my own vehicle asleep, with the doors locked. Secondly, what classifies an "on view" arrest, on the citation, they make no mention that I was asleep in my vehicle when I was found, only that they observed glassy eyes, slurred speech, and that I was a danger to myself or others, or may annoy persons in my vicinity. Personally, I believe I made a relatively sane call seeing as how I did not drive, and I didn't attempt to walk home which would have made me "drunk in public" :) I understand that ignorance of the law is no excuse, but I genuinely had no idea I couldnt sleep in my truck. Anyone out there have any idea or suggestions on how I can beat this charge, I know it isnt even a major offense but I feel as though I obeyed the spirit of the law if not the letter.

thanks in advance,

-nate

FlyingRon

In your car in a public area is still in public.
Officers are trained to distinguish intoxication from fatigue.
You could have been charged with DUI, the cops cut you a break there.
Contact a lawyer, at the minimum with a clean record you may qualify for diversion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">