• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Intoxication / False Arrest ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

norights9

What is the name of your state? Texas

Recently was charged with a PI in Sunset Valley. I was NOT drunk, admitted to having two over a five hour period. I was a passenger and the driver had a previous ticket she was unaware had not been resolved. We were cooperative but appalled. I asked if I could call for a ride (they were going to impound friends car), and was answered sarcastically "we don't have a phone !" I was treated like an animal,yanked out of the vehicle, and wasn't even allowed to retrieve my sandles! I was transferred to Travis County after being scared to death by SVV police, (taken to a single wide trailor and the officers were vague as to where we were going....felt like being in the movie "Deliverance" !!)and then spent a horrible twelve hours in a "holding area" at Travis County jail.
When arrested no rights were read, no ticket was given, and no sobriety tests were done. I wasn't allowed a call to anyone.
The copy of the report I received from SSV is contradictory stating I was cooperative (true), combative (how can you be cooperative yet combative??), laughing (I do that when I'm nervous), among other wholly untrue observations . I know this is JUST a misdemeanor , but have a sterling record and have been out of work due to an injury so can't afford an attorney.
Sunset Valley says they dont have to provide me with an attorney so am I just out of luck?? Is there any way to fight this pro-se (sp?), or do I have to say I'm guilty when I'm not?
I'm just sick to my stomach over this and would appreciate any feedback. THANK YOU ! :(

n_and

When arrested no rights were read, no ticket was given, and no sobriety tests were done. I wasn't allowed a call to anyone.
Fan of 'cop shows', are you?

taken to a single wide trailor
Now, what's wrong with that? Just like home.

admitted to having two over a five hour period.
...and how many did you really have? Look, Police Officers are NOT the bad guys. You were obviously doing something wrong, hence you got arrested. I go out and have a few drinks every once in a while, and do you see me getting arrested? No. Plead nolo, maybe they'll file it for a year, but if not, oh well. You learned your lesson.

N

norights9

reply to n_and

Gee thanks for your obviously jaded reply ! You must have lost your faith in people being honest way back when...
I AM a fan of cops, but at this point not SSV cops. I'm a moderate drinker and know EXACTLY how many I had.
Going to a trailor wouldn't have been so frightening had I been informed what the deal was. I thought I was in Austin, wasn't even aware there is a "little city" in the midst of sanity !
Now, if you have something enlightening (or at least polite to say...have at it.

n_and

Okay.

You did something wrong, you got arrested, you don't need a lawyer, and I advise you to plead nolo.

Good Luck.

N

norights9

re: reply to n_and

I appreciate the civil response, and the advise. I may just have to take it. :) The whole point is that I didn't do anything wrong else I wouldn't be asking for advise here !
I'm assuming that because my girlfriend had an unresolved problem with the law, (however unaware of this she was), it gave the police reason enough to arrest me too (?)
I just offer this as a parallel; If you were in a friends car on the way home home after having a drink or two, (I think that's still legal...), would you expect the police to pull you out of the car and arrest you? It just reeks in my mind!
A good ol' Austin cop probably would have offered me a ride home AND commiserated (sp?)regarding my friends dilema !
Oh well..at least I know better where to travel . Take my advise and be on your toes in Sunset Valley ! It just seems something should be done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">