• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled Over

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

barnesml

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My wife was on her way to work yesterday evening and less than 10-15min after she had left she called me at home from her cell explaining a cop had just pulled her over and asked her where she was headed to now and that he had just followed her from the local Bar&Grill across from where we live.
She told him that she had just left home and asked why she was being pulled over, the cop didn't answer and asked her to step out of the car and asked if she had been drinking (which she doesn't drink at all). He then asked for regist & insurance info which she provided and then asked him agian a couple more times why she was being pulled over and received no answer. He then ran the plates and let her go without explanation.

I would like to know if the cop was justified or legal in not giving a reason for pulling my wife over and then accusing her of leaving an establishment where she never was all with a very unproffesional demeanor.

CdwJava

As long as he had some lawful cause to pull her over, then its legal. And he is not obligated to explian to her why he pulled over ... though common sense would seem to dictate this to be a good idea.

If she feels the officer was unprofessional and rude, and may have stopped her without cause, she should start by contacting the department and speaking to a watch commander. Sometimes a complaint can do wonders - if its a problem officer, this would be a blessing for the agency. If he's a good officer, then don't expect much.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">