• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled Over - Consent to Vehicle Search or vehicle will be impounded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mfish123

Recentely I was pulled over in New Jersey. It was about 12:45 AM. I was driving the speed limit and obeying all traffic laws. All lights on my vehicle were working and I have proper, unexpired registration, insurance and valid driver's license

The local K9 unit followed me for about 4 miles and then flipped his lights on. I pulled over immediately, put my blinkers on, turned my interior light on and opened my driver's side window. I have PA plates and have a light tint on my windows that is legal in PA. The officer came up to my passenger window and I opened it and engaged in conversation with him. He asked a lot of suspicious questions, such as were I was going, where I lived, where I was coming from, where I was going, etc. I politely gave him concise answers to his questions and addressed him as officer to show respect. I provided my license, insurance, and registration upon request after the questioning and waited in my car for the officer to check my credentials. I have 0 points on my license, no criminal history and no outstanding warrants.

The officer came back to the car and asked me step out. I asked him if that was necessary and he said that he is allowed ask me to step out of the vehicle. He started again with more questions, this time more focused if I dig drugs, was on drugs, had ever done drugs in my life and if I was driniking. He shined his flash light on me and picked pieces of lint off my shirt probably looking for drug residue. He then without informing me what I was doing basically conducted a field sobriety test where he had me follow his finger with his eyes. I think I did fine.

At this point 2 more cops showed up. Then the K9 officer said next he was going to sniff the outside of my vehicle for drugs. Again I asked him that was necessary and complained that he hadn't even told me the reason I was pulled over. After talking privately with the other 2 officers (so they could get their story straight) he came back and said that I swerved twice over the shoulder. I know I didn't and said that I did not recall doing that. I know how these Jersey cops are and these guys were all in their 20's trying to make a name for themselves.

So then he has the dog sniff my car while other 2 cops ask me the same questions...where are you going, what are you doing tonight, don't you have to be at work tomorrow, etc. I gave them the same exact answers that I gave the K9 cop and maintained my cool and also addressed them as officer. At the end of the sniff the officer said the dog smelled drugs. I asked if that was really the case as I didn't see the dog pawing at my car or barking (I don't what exactly the dog does to alert the officer). The officer said, "I'm not getting into all that"

I was then told that they would have to search my car since the dog alerted. I complained stating that it was late and there no drugs in the car and I was already out later than I wanted to be and needed to get to bed so I could get up to work tomorrow. The officer tried to make me admit to guilt by saying things like, even if you have a bowl in the car we'll find it or if someone else was in the car and drugs fell out of the pocket its ok and they'd understand. He also, then said my eyes were red as hell which they weren't.

At this point, I'm feeling like I'm being ganged up on and that I have no rights and basically if you drive a car you can be pulled over investigated and searched for no reason. At the time of the incident I didn't know my rights. Since then I've scoured the internet and educated myself on reasonable suspicion, probable cause, 4th amendment, exigent circumstances, etc.

The choice I was given was to either consent to a search or that they would impound my car and then get a warrant and search it anyway. So I'm thinking who the hell wants to have their car impounded and go through all the BS and cost of getting it back and the risk of some crooked cop planting evidence. In retrospect, I think the dog smelled nothing, because if he did they'd have probable cause and probably wouldn't have needed consent to search. I think it was all a bluff. In the back of my head I'm slightly nervous that god forbid someone was in my car and there is some microscopic residue of drugs in some nock and cranny but I clean my car regular and highly doubted that was the case although it crossed my mind. So at this point since my only other option was to have my car impounded I relunctantly consented to a roadside search and signed a paper stating my consent.

They went through the car pretty thoroughly for about 45 minutes while the other cops in spurts kept asking me the same stupid questions to see if I would answer differently. Of course they found nothing cause I had nothing on me. At the end of it all they didn't even give me a traffic ticket cause I did not swerve.

My main questions are, under these circumstances if I did not consent to the search could they have impounded my car or was that a bluff? Being that I was not swerving, did the officer have any reasonable suspicion to initiate a traffic stop? Would out of state plates and tinted windows and the fact it was 12:45 AM in the morning give him enough to pull me over? If the dog actually smelled drugs, then would they still need my consent to search or would the dog alerting give them probable cause to do a search without consent. I understand with exigent circumstances of an automobile that with probable cause they don't really need a warrant, as far as I understand. I also no that its perfectly legal for an officer to lie to you as part of their investigation.

At the of the day, I realize officers need to do their jobs and I respect that but can they just make up a reason to pull you over, make up reasons to suspect you have drugs, and the bluff that their dog smelled drugs and threaten to impound your car if you don't consent. I just feel like they walked all over the constitution. I know the law on paper and in practice is different and if they see a sports car with out of state plates and tinted windows at almost 1 in the morning I can understand them wanting to pull me over. I get it. Even if they didn't have reasonable suspicion that wouldn't have bothered me but then when they ask me questions and see that I'm coherent and answering politely and consistently, they don't smell drugs or alcohol on me and all my credentials are squeaky clean they should have let me go on my way. Its the fact that after all this they wouldn't drop it and continued all the way through to searching my car. And the town I was in is an upper middle class suburb...why the hell should our tax payer dollars be wasted on a K9 unit and why should there be so many on duty cops at that hour that 3 of them all in separate patrol cars can hang out at a routine traffic stop. What if someone on the other side of town was being raped or murdered and they couldn't get there fast enough?? By the cops own statements he was hoping at best to find "a bowl". Is this the kind of country where living in where we have K9 units pulling over cars cause its late at night hoping to maybe get someone on a misdemeanor drug charge for possession of small quantity of a relatively harmless drug for personal consumption?? I hope this never happens to me again but I want to know how I can better flex my rights and handle a situation like this differently.

Last edited:

CdwJava

My main questions are, under these circumstances if I did not consent to the search could they have impounded my car or was that a bluff?
I suspect it was a bluff, but, if they made that threat then it is very likely that consent was not freely given. If they had probable cause to seize the car and seek a search warrant, then it might not be coercion, but it all depends on the facts - including the information that the officers had or believed they had.

Being that I was not swerving, did the officer have any reasonable suspicion to initiate a traffic stop?
If you actually swerved, sure. Unfortunately for you, you were not sitting in the officer's seat. You may not believe you swerved, but it's possible that you did. Had you consumed any alcohol or medication at all?

Would out of state plates and tinted windows and the fact it was 12:45 AM in the morning give him enough to pull me over?
By itself, no ... unless tinted windows are unlawful in your home state and in NJ.

I also no that its perfectly legal for an officer to lie to you as part of their investigation.
They cannot generally lie to trick you into granting consent.

And the town I was in is an upper middle class suburb...why the hell should our tax payer dollars be wasted on a K9 unit and why should there be so many on duty cops at that hour that 3 of them all in separate patrol cars can hang out at a routine traffic stop.
If it is a safe community, it may well be because they have sufficient officers on duty to deter crime. And if they are not doing anything else, why NOT hang out to assist or cover another officer? It's a safety thing ...

Oh, and K9s are amazingly useful tools. They are useful for drugs (when drug trained) and great for taking down suspects, conducting searches of dark places and even taking down armed suspects! Any agency that can afford the initial outlay and the annual care and training of a K9 should do it. It's a great force multiplier.

What if someone on the other side of town was being raped or murdered and they couldn't get there fast enough??
You can "what if" it to death. What IF there was only one cop on duty and the guy he stopped was like you but was running dope and had a gun - or a chase car - and they were intent on killing the officer that made the stop?

We can get into "what if" all day.

Next time, refuse the search and see what they do. If they know they were bluffing, you'll be okay. But if they were skirting the law or outright breaking it then your refusal certainly would probably not deter them.

mfish123

Sounds to me like you handled it just fine...
Knowing what I know now I would have answered more questions with questions. I also would have asked several times if I was being detained or if I was free to go. Also, if its true that they could not have impounded my car then I would have not consented to the search.

I guess what my main question is if I didn't consent to the search would they have been able to impound my car? I just feel as though we have the 4th amendment right but if they can just impound your car its meaningless. Most people would probably opt to do the same as I did to avoid the impound but then what's the point of the 4th amendment? And when they impound your car they do an inventory search but we all know in practice they probably tear your car apart the same as if they were doing a full search and then just say whatever they found was found in your unlocked glove box or something. Also, what about them just making up the fact that I swerved to justify the stop? It just sounds like its a he said she said thing and the cops can just straight up lie about what happened to justify their reasonable suspicion and probable cause and then they can do whatever they want. And then if it went to court it would be your word against theirs. Is this how things go down in reality or am I missing something?

CdwJava

Knowing what I know now I would have answered more questions with questions.
Questions which they would not be legally obligated to answer ... aside from whether you were detained or not. And under the circumstances, you would appear to have clearly been detained.

I guess what my main question is if I didn't consent to the search would they have been able to impound my car?
As mentioned, maybe. It depends on whether they could articulate the requisite probable cause to support the seizure or not.

Also, what about them just making up the fact that I swerved to justify the stop?
You claim you never swerved or veered over the center line ... maybe you did and were unaware of it. We don't know. If they truly made it up, then it seems a silly thing to do to risk one's personal freedom, assets, and career just to make up a reason to stop some random schmo toodling down the road. It does't make sense, but I suppose that even in police work there is the occasional nutcase.

And then if it went to court it would be your word against theirs. Is this how things go down in reality or am I missing something?
Typically it would e your word against theirs. The thought being that the officer has no interest in the outcome. He gets paid the same whether he makes the stop or not, and whether or not he finds drugs or other contraband. Yes, it makes it easy for an officer to lie and make things up if he or she is inclined. Fortunately, that is still such the rare oddity that when it does occur it is so shocking that it can make national headlines.

tranquility

Typically it would e your word against theirs. The thought being that the officer has no interest in the outcome. He gets paid the same whether he makes the stop or not, and whether or not he finds drugs or other contraband. Yes, it makes it easy for an officer to lie and make things up if he or she is inclined. Fortunately, that is still such the rare oddity that when it does occur it is so shocking that it can make national headlines.
Never when it is your word against the cops. We get national news when we have proof the cop lied through a video or something similar and there is some other exaggerating factor. Rather than looking for the rare oddity which makes headlines, we could just go to you-tube. Well, not completely, we know how well cops like being on video.

As to if the problem is a rare oddity or not, google testilie and see what others think.

dave33

mfish123, You have experienced how the "justice" system has evolved. The experience you had is not uncommon.

Afew years ago most people thought that police reports were accurate, cops did not lie, beat people up etc...
Now, with the internet you can see for yourself how common these things are. Live and learn.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
mfish123, You have experienced how the "justice" system has evolved. The experience you had is not uncommon.

Afew years ago most people thought that police reports were accurate, cops did not lie, beat people up etc...
Now, with the internet you can see for yourself how common these things are. Live and learn.
"Not uncommon" is not an accurate phrase. I would suggest that you are trying to say that this happens more than people realize.

So, let's say we have 100 instances per year...or heck, even 100 per day...that are similar to the OP's. Nationwide, what do you figure the percentage is compared to the total number of traffic stops? Now, how about we open it up a bit. Compare it to the total number of police interactions.

Occurrences of the police acting inappropriately, while perhaps happening more often than people realize, are an extremely small percentage of the total interactions the police have with the public.

dave33

"Not uncommon" is not an accurate phrase. I would suggest that you are trying to say that this happens more than people realize.

So, let's say we have 100 instances per year...or heck, even 100 per day...that are similar to the OP's. Nationwide, what do you figure the percentage is compared to the total number of traffic stops? Now, how about we open it up a bit. Compare it to the total number of police interactions.

Occurrences of the police acting inappropriately, while perhaps happening more often than people realize, are an extremely small percentage of the total interactions the police have with the public.

Even a small percentage is alot. That is of course assuming that these things happen a small percentage of the time.

Proseguru

Sounds to me like you handled it just fine...
Whaat? Handled it poorly IMO. Once they start asking questions is the time to zip your lip. Its none of their business where you came from not where you are going. And in one of my traffic court cases, since I did not answer their 200 inquiry set including these questions, they could not prove where I entered the highway and lost their case.

So, when they start asking questions just tell them that you'll answer any question in court. Let them threaten you etc its ALL BOGUS. If they could impound your car, they will.

Next time, don't say anything and never consent to a vehicle search..they can tear your doors off, seats out , anything and leave the pieces for you to clean up afterwards.

Cops ask for your DL, give it. They ask for you to exit the vehicle, do so (and LOCK the door on your way out).
You have no duty to answer their quesitons.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Whaat? Handled it poorly IMO. Once they start asking questions is the time to zip your lip. Its none of their business where you came from not where you are going. And in one of my traffic court cases, since I did not answer their 200 inquiry set including these questions, they could not prove where I entered the highway and lost their case.

So, when they start asking questions just tell them that you'll answer any question in court. Let them threaten you etc its ALL BOGUS. If they could impound your car, they will.

Next time, don't say anything and never consent to a vehicle search..they can tear your doors off, seats out , anything and leave the pieces for you to clean up afterwards.

Cops ask for your DL, give it. They ask for you to exit the vehicle, do so (and LOCK the door on your way out).
You have no duty to answer their quesitons.
Your opinion is just that. I feel the OP did just fine.

genoentchev123

I live in NJ and have been stopped plenty of times, there have been times they said my car smelled like pot, I always denied it and never consented to searches, they ask why, I say because of the fourth amendment and go on a little rant about how cops don't like to follow the basic laws that this country is built on, they generally don't like this, but they always see my point and are very careful how they conduct the stop from there on out. But I have been held for hours before by cops yelling at me that they're going to call the tow truck if I didn't consent, they never did, they bluff, ALL THE TIME, because they KNOW people don't want to risk getting their car impounded, so they just consent, and then all the record will show is that they pulled you over for swerving and you consented to a search, and they found xyz, WHY YOU CONSENTED is of little consequence. Also, I'd be willing to bet money (and I'm not a gambling man) that the dog didn't signal a thing, he just lied to scare you and to convince you to consent, because I'm 99.99% sure that if the dog really signaled he would not need your cooperation for anything but standing still for a mugshot.

All in all, you were a victim of a cop that was overstepping his authority and busted your balls for nothing.. next time, don't consent, and when he threatens to impound your car and call the tow truck, ask him if he wants to use your phone. As far as I know, (told to me by a retired Captain in North Jersey) they cannot impound your car unless your driving while suspended, have no registration, drunk, or no insurance, <--i think... they cannot impound your car just because they want to and you didn't do what they say.

PIECE OF ADVICE--- download the soundcloud app onto your smart phone, it has a record option, and it will continue recording through phone calls, phone locked, anything as long as the phone is still powered on.... RECORD EVERY TRAFFIC STOP! as soon as the cops flip their lights on behind me, I hit record, put the phone in my belt holder with the mic facing forward and do through with everything. I've had a cop answer the question "why did you pull me over, what laws did I break?" with "None yet, but they night is still young" he obviously denied this in court, but it taught me a lesson... record everything... and don't tell them you're recording... in NJ (I asked my lawyer) anyone who is a party in the conversation can record it without the other one's consent.

RRevak

They cannot generally lie to trick you into granting consent.
[/Quote

I'm sorry but i've been told numerous times by a practicing federal prosecuting attorney, federal defense attorney, AND head of the narcotics division for palm beach county sheriffs dept, that this statement is a bold face lie. I took several law related classes as an undergrad which were taught by these individuals and we were repeatedly told this happens ALL THE TIME and that LEO CAN in fact, do just about whatever is necessary to gain consent for search..including lie. Maybe its different in your state but here in sunny FL, its a sad common occurrence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">