• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about being accused of identity theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needadvicea

My ex gf when she moved out said i could keep the electric bill in her name. She lived with me and my parents . her and my dad handles those bills. she now has accused me of ID theft. But today when we got called in for our statement the detective only had my dad fill out a report and sign it not me. Does that mean now they are focusing on him instead of me?
In the report i was the person on interested but they had me fill out no paper or statement or sign anything which seemed odd to me
the dect then said she would call my ex back and tell her our side.

quincy

My ex gf when she moved out said i could keep the electric bill in her name. She lived with me and my parents . her and my dad handles those bills. she now has accused me of ID theft. But today when we got called in for our statement the detective only had my dad fill out a report and sign it not me. Does that mean now they are focusing on him instead of me?
In the report i was the person on interested but they had me fill out no paper or statement or sign anything which seemed odd to me
the dect then said she would call my ex back and tell her our side.
What is the name of your state, needadvicea?

I am puzzled by the arrangement made for the payment of electric bills (the fact that your girlfriend and your dad handled the bills) but I accept that this arrangement worked for you (at least for the length of time she was your girlfriend).

I don't think that anyone here on this forum can tell you why the detective only had your dad fill out a report and not you. I cannot tell you if the detective is focusing on your dad or on you.

I guess you will have to wait to learn more from the detective.

If you haven't removed your ex-girlfriend's name and account information from any bills that were shared or from any shared credit accounts, and if you haven't stopped using her name and account information for your own benefit, I suspect now might be a good time to do that.

needadvicea

Sorry I am in Florida
No everything else was changed and nothing else in her name since i asked her to leave
we all lived together for 5 years been broke up for a year and a half and now she makes this report .
So basically maybe my dad is now the one in question instead of me?

quincy

Sorry I am in Florida
No everything else was changed and nothing else in her name since i asked her to leave
we all lived together for 5 years been broke up for a year and a half and now she makes this report .
So basically maybe my dad is now the one in question instead of me?
I don't know if your dad is the one in question now instead of you.

A guess on my part: It is possible that your ex-girlfriend was listed by name and account number on a household service (perhaps an electric service) and the service account is delinquent. It could be that your ex-girlfriend is unable to establish service in her own name until the delinquency is cured. She might believe it identity theft when it could just be the household service failed to remove her name or the delinquency occurred during the time she lived at your residence.

That is just a guess on my part.

I imagine you will hear what it is all about eventually, from the detective if charges of identity theft are pursued against either you or your dad, or from the attorney I recommend you or your father hire if you are charged with identity theft.

It is probably best that you exercise your right to remain silent if the detective asks you additional questions. Refer the questions to your attorney.

Good luck.

needadvicea

She agreed to have them in her name because the deposit was less and since she paid no rent or nothing for food she said it was ok to put them in her name.
When she moved out she said to change the cable and the water bill but it will fine to keep the electric in her name.
Now she claims that we reinstated everything in her name after she moved out which there is proof that that isnt the case. She only named me in the case but after talking to us the Dect only had my dad write out a written statement and sign it not me
So i guessing the focus is on him now or they wouldve took a statement from me and had me sign it.
She is doing this now because for some reason her income tax refund is being held

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">