• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about a check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

momof3kids

What is the name of your state? IL but this happen in CA when I lived there

Hi When I lived in CA in 2001 I wrote a check to swans and it bounced. The person I wrote the check to (who own the franchise in that area at the time) worked it out so that I would pay him the money every 2 weeks I paid him then money and now I got a letter saying I still owe the money. What can I do now?it has been over 2 years since this happened and I just got the letter today! What do I have to do to fix this? They are saying I owe over 500.00. I paid him that plus the bank fees he got from the bounced check. But I have no proof now cause that was over 2 years ago and I thought everything was settled. What do I do now? I was also never notified by mail that I owed this until now which the letter I got is from the DA's office in CA. The person came to my house and asked me for the money. And that is when we made the payment arrangement of 50.00 every 2 weeks.

Last edited:

K

kcdogg

momof3kids said:
What is the name of your state? IL but this happen in CA when I lived there

Hi When I lived in CA in 2001 I wrote a check to swans and it bounced. The person I wrote the check to (who own the franchise in that area at the time) worked it out so that I would pay him the money every 2 weeks I paid him then money and now I got a letter saying I still owe the money. What can I do now?it has been over 2 years since this happened and I just got the letter today! What do I have to do to fix this? They are saying I owe over 500.00. I paid him that plus the bank fees he got from the bounced check. But I have no proof now cause that was over 2 years ago and I thought everything was settled. What do I do now? I was also never notified by mail that I owed this until now which the letter I got is from the DA's office in CA. The person came to my house and asked me for the money. And that is when we made the payment arrangement of 50.00 every 2 weeks.

Do you have receipts, cancelled checks or a agreement on the amount you were to pay back? Was the original amount 500? Did the letter from the DA contain any information about any penalties that may have been assessed? Did you have to go to court? I only hope you did not pay him by cash!

M

momof3kids

Do you have receipts, cancelled checks or a agreement on the amount you were to pay back?

no he just came to my house on his normal route and collected the money every 2 weeks.

Was the original amount 500?

I was chraged 45 per check which I paid him for when I paid him back there is also a 50.00 charge from the da for me to go to some class which I have no idea what for.

Did you have to go to court?

no the letter said that I ahd to send a money order for the amount owed before a certain date but that was it.

I only hope you did not pay him by cash! Yes I did I was stupid!! I called the da's office and told them everything and they said that they were going to talk to schwanns and have them look at their records again. The lady at the da.'s office was really nice and told me "not to worry about this" but I still am! I know I have no proof that I paid him so if worse comes to worse I will just have to pay it again but I wish there was some way to fight it! I never had a bounced check before and I just went on trusting him that this was taken care of when I paid my last payment!

JETX

You have a right to be worried. Simply, the person you paid has claimed that you never paid him. And you have no receipts to show that you did.

And since they have apparently filed criminal charges against you, you are very likely going to have to pay it again. I know, not fair..... but you really should have gotten receipts for the cash payments.

M

momof3kids

that is kind of what I figured :( Oh well I will just have to chalk it up to a leson learned. Thank you for responding both of you :)

M

momof3kids

I just thought I would update those that replied to me. I got a letter today from the da in ca and they said that the company said they reviewd their records nad they admitted that I did pay them and that my checks were sent to the DA by mistake. They said in the letter that I owe them nothing! Thank goodness they were honest!!
Thank you all for your help!!

K

kcdogg

momof3kids said:
I just thought I would update those that replied to me. I got a letter today from the da in ca and they said that the company said they reviewd their records nad they admitted that I did pay them and that my checks were sent to the DA by mistake. They said in the letter that I owe them nothing! Thank goodness they were honest!!
Thank you all for your help!!

I'm glad everything turned out okay for you, it pays not to roll over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">