• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about old Felony / extradition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

royp039

State case is in: North Carolina

I have an outstanding felony warrant in NC. (9 years old). I was in prison for almost 4 years (from 2001 to 2005) and on parole/probation for 2 years. During this time I tried to writ myself there, they were asked if the had any interest in picking me up multiple times and just this week a fugitive task force came to my house (although I am easily found and never in "hiding" as I own my house) to arrest me on this warrant saying that NC wanted me only to be released 1.5 days later when NC said they did not. Basically they have had multiple opportunities to come and get me and yet refuse. And any time I have tried to end this, doing everything other than just driving down there, I cant get any answers or help trying to end this.

The crime is 6 counts of obtaining property false pretenses. My other convictions were similar white collar crimes.

What are my options here? I have been clean since my release and successfully completed my parole without issue and just hope to put this behind me. Would i be better off contacting them myself and trying to get this ended with some type of credit for the time i served (this crime happened before all of my other convictions) or do i need to contact an atty? The issue is i am not interested, obviously, in going back to jail for any amount of time.

Thanks!

Last edited:

FlyingRon

As long as there is an active warrant for you, you can count on getting detained whenever someone runs your info through the computer at a traffic stop or whatever.

Your best bet is to have a lawyer in NC figure out how to resolve the warrant (if they are uninterested in prosecuting, get the warrant quashed, if they are then mount a defense).

royp039

jeff if you read the entire post I have not been avoiding prosecution. I contacted them multiple times while incarcerated (through letter and writ) to try and take care of this.

I figured a lawyer was my best bet. Thanks!

CdwJava

The way "to take care of this" is to appear in court to answer the charges. Until then, you will be a fugitive and there will be consequences such as inability to obtain certain jobs, the inability to qualify for certain loans or government aid, and the inconvenience of continued law enforcement contacts.

These things do not go away because you write a letter and want them to.

royp039

Write a letter and want them? Wow. I expected advice in this forum, not "do the right thing". A WRIT is a legal document, not a letter, requesting to be taken to said court to take care of this.

The funny thing about the system: I have been out four years, no incident, learned my lesson and am doing all that has been asked of me. But prison / the system is not here to aid in rehabilitation but to keep you down no matter how hard you try.

My post was to simply ask if I am better off trying to take care of this myself or getting an attorney.

As far as inability to do certain things? great job, own a home, in college and also donate my time as further penance because I do feel bad about the life i led in the past. but thank you to those passing judgement and not offering advice.;)

CdwJava

Write a letter and want them? Wow. I expected advice in this forum, not "do the right thing". A WRIT is a legal document, not a letter, requesting to be taken to said court to take care of this.
I know what a writ is. But, they are under no legal obligation to pay for your transportation down there if they do not want to. if you are serious about wanting to take care of this matter, you will go down there to do it.

Until then, you might as well close your eyes and click your heels together three times, because that will be just as likely to result in travel to court as your writ.

The funny thing about the system: I have been out four years, no incident, learned my lesson and am doing all that has been asked of me. But prison / the system is not here to aid in rehabilitation but to keep you down no matter how hard you try.
No, it is there to hold you to answer for the offenses that you are alleged to have committed. It is not designed to play a game of tag where if you stay away long enough you get to walk away free.

It is likely that an exemplary life since then WILL play into your favor. But, the longer you delay the inevitable, the more likely a court might be to consider your attitude smug and defiant and decide that you should be made an example of.

My post was to simply ask if I am better off trying to take care of this myself or getting an attorney.
The answer was, "get an attorney."

As far as inability to do certain things? great job, own a home, in college and also donate my time as further penance because I do feel bad about the life i led in the past. but thank you to those passing judgement and not offering advice.;)
You are lucky that the results of your fugitive status have not yet caught up with you. But, because of a warrant many forms of government backed loans and welfare benefits will not be available to you or will be pulled as a result. Many employers also do background checks and will not hire wanted criminals. Apparently your current employer either did not care or did not do a background check. Bully for you.

It is your call whether you want to deal with the warrant or not. If you choose to deal with it, hire an attorney and go back and deal with it. Writing letters (or writs) and thinking you can clear it up without going back is dreaming. MAYBE an attorney can assist you in clearing it up with minimal court appearances or jail time, but that depends on the nature of the allegations and the mood of the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">