• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about rights and wrong of searching a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zophoria

ok, I live in Mississippi. Yesterday my boyfriend(age 17) and I got pulled over by a cop... He was saying we had drugs and were druggies(we didn't have anything and we certainly aren't druggies) but ok he gets my boyfriend out of the car and pats him down then he pulls open his pants and looks down his boxers.. I am not sure, but I think this is definately illegal to do to a minor, am I right? and if it is do you think we have a good chance of winning in we press charges? thank you for any help you can provide

racer72

If you boyfriend consented to the search, which is appears he did, there is nothing that can be done. And the type of search you describe can be done without permission of a parent or guardian.

JETX

"I am not sure, but I think this is definately illegal to do to a minor, am I right?"
*** No.

"and if it is do you think we have a good chance of winning in we press charges?"
*** And if it were illegal, you wouldn't "win" anything.

B

Boxcarbill

In order to do a pat down search, or what is referred to as a "Terry stop," the police must have observed unusual conduct which leads the officer to reasonably conclude that the person may be involved in criminal activity AND that the persons with whom the police has stopped may be armed and presently dangerous. Then "he is entitled for the protection of himself and others in the area to conduct a carefully limited search of the outer clothing of such persons in an attempt to discover weapons which might be used to assault him." Terry v. Ohio , 392 U. S. 1 (1968).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">