• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about statute of limitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Flowermama

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I received a phone call last week from the local PD requesting me to come in and talk to detectives on a case that happened in 2002 where I was the victim of an assault. They said they have new evidence in the case and that they wanted to talk to me about it. I'm apprehensive because of the way I was treated back then by this same detective. He and his partner badgered me about my report until I recanted and walked out. Why would they want to talk to me about it now, 13 years later?

justalayman

Some crimes have no statute of limitations. Some have quite lengthy sol's.

Some have very short sol's. Without knowing the possible crimes involved it is impossible to determine the applicable sol.

With that said, that was quite awhile ago. It would be a very serious crime to have an sol beyond a few years. Given your concern I would suggest speaking with an attorney who can investigate the situation prior to complying with the request. I would suspect something other than the crime 13 years ago to be involved here.

OHRoadwarrior

We could guess that they are looking for something to charge you with or that someone else has made a similar allegation about the same person. We have no way to predict you could get indirect justice or have charges pressed against yourself.

Flowermama

The question of statute of limitations was the 13 years one, Sorry, I'm not very eloquent when trying to ask things sometimes.

The crime was sexual assault and what I am wondering about that is, considering how long it's been, if they caught the guy on a different assault, can they charge him with my assault as well and would I even be a viable witness after all these years. Since I recanted my statement, would I be more of a liability and cause him to be set free if they have, indeed, caught him?

The thing I'm wondering about, from my standpoint, is this: When I recanted my statement, they threatened to me with false reporting. Could they still charge me with that, even though the report WASN'T false? I know, why did I recant? Well, after four hours of threats, I was out of emotional strength. I told them it was all a lie and that I was crazy or something just to get them to leave me alone. Truthfully, I'm scared of talking to them for this very reason.

justalayman

That is one of the crimes, depending on the specific details, can have no limitations.

Due to that, nobody can really guess what's happening here. Maybe they made a recent DNA match tying your assailant to your crime.

If you are concerned about this, find an attorney to advise you and accompany you to any interview.

Flowermama

That is one of the crimes, depending on the specific details, can have no limitations.

Due to that, nobody can really guess what's happening here. Maybe they made a recent DNA match tying your assailant to your crime.

If you are concerned about this, find an attorney to advise you and accompany you to any interview.
Thank you, I will look one up on Monday. Your input was very helpful :) Have a wonderful weekend!

Mt_Vernon

I know, why did I recant? Well, after four hours of threats, I was out of emotional strength. I told them it was all a lie and that I was crazy or something just to get them to leave me alone.
I'm curious about something. Why were the police officers threatening you? Did they find inconsistencies in your story? Were the police officers friends of the accused assailant?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Seriously? You don't know many officers, do you? You only know what you've seen on TV, if this is what you think "it's what they do."
I need to find the story of a girl who was sexually assaulted who the cops badgered into recanting...
Here it is: http://www.alternet.org/unbelievable-story-rape

Read it. It is fact. Everyone needs to read this story actually. the victim then sued the officers and city and a settlement was entered into.

Indiana Filer

I need to find the story of a girl who was sexually assaulted who the cops badgered into recanting...
Here it is: http://www.alternet.org/unbelievable-story-rape

Read it. It is fact. Everyone needs to read this story actually. the victim then sued the officers and city and a settlement was entered into.
True about that case, but TigerD seemed to imply it's SOP for cops to threaten people.

FlyingRon

Absent knowing the details of the assault, the SOL could stretch out to 15 years in Colorado. Also while I don't know if it can happen in Colorado, if there is identifying information such as DNA, a John Doe prosecution can be commenced which essentially stops the SOL. Not having the details, we can't guess further.

OHRoadwarrior

Kind of like ISLAM and asylum, as a percentage of the group, many police are good, honest family men and do not allow misogynistic views they may hold interfere with their job or life. A small percentage of bad, crooked cops do. Though I would consider going, to seek justice for a second victim, if you have a lawyer friend take them or be very careful what you say aand if you feel it is going in the wrong direction by instinct, terminate the conversation. You have that right. Also, you can request they come to you, so you are not in an intimidating environment. If you do go, make sure to record the conversation and ask permission to on tape. What you say and what they here can mysteriously change when it comes time for them to testify.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">