• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about what information will go on my criminal background?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Streetglower

What is the name of your state? Texas

Ok, I have been looking for a job and have been denied by several companies because of my background. Now, correct me if I am wrong. When you get arrested and charged with a crime, and then it gets dismissed in court, nothing goes on your record. Now say you get Deferred Adjudication for 2 yrs. for a Class A misdemenor, and then after a yr. and a half you complete everything and the judge says your off. Dont they dismiss the case after the probation? I am asking because on my background check it looks like this:

Case Type: Misdemeanor Case NBR: 113907701010-Harris County

Offense Date: 10/12/2002 Disp. Date: 10/18/02

Offense: Harboring a runaway child (Misd. Class A).

Disposition: Deferred- The finding of guilt has been postponed. Probation: 2 years, Fine: $500. Probation terminated on 12/5/2003

Now if I was given probation for this, the point was for it not to be a conviction and go on my background. So if this happens, what is the big deal of being convicted, it will still go on the record. This did and I got probation.

I also was arrested about 2 yrs. earlier before this incident for criminal trespassing and after about 8 months it was dismissed, and that never showed up on my record, so why is this?

CdwJava

""""Now, correct me if I am wrong. When you get arrested and charged with a crime, and then it gets dismissed in court, nothing goes on your record."

You are wrong.

Plus, there is no generic "background" - they may vary by statutory authority, investigator, access, etc. And, there are a number of files and records that contain the information of that arrest. For instance, when you are arrested the arresting agency has a record, the booking agency (county jail) has a record, the DA's office will have a record, the court of jurisdiction will have a record, the state criminal offender records will have an entry, and any local (county or city) network will have a record.

An arrest is usually followed by a disposition. If the case is dropped, the state criminal offender record (and court records) should reflect that.

As to why one showed up and the other didn't - who knows. It may be that you were never "booked" for the trespassing (i.e. printed and photographed) or the paperwork was never forwarded to the recording authority in TX.

The best way to find out your answers would be to contact the Texas Department of Public Safety with your question. The website is down now, but here's the link:

http://records.txdps.state.tx.us/default.cfm

Good luck.

Carl

S

Streetglower

I was arrested and booked for the trspassing incident.

CdwJava

Then you need to cotact the TX DPS to find out some of these answers. It may be that certain crimes are classified in such a way that they do not get entered as a matter of statute.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">