• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question jury duty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmcsgtbob

I got a simple question...I do NOT wish to go to just duty.. 6 years ago I got a letter in mail to fill ut and send back calling for jury duty.. I got a letter from my employer stating he could not afford for my abscence and also a Dr's letter stating it was not a good idea for me to attend that he did not recommend.. and they excused me... Ive been left alone for 6 years until...

I recently purchased another home... they get thier records from drivers licence renewels, home purchases, marriage licence applications ect... well they sent the jury duty form to my other home in which I do not live there.. It had my regular address on it then a post office yellow sticker on it for a forwarded address... wht PO did this I dont know.. but I do not live there. My ex lives there.. PO screwed up... Should I do ??

put on the letter "Return to sender...Deos not live here" and throw back in the mail

or fill out the request for wanting to be excused..

I have a couple friends they simply throw into garbage when they get them.. what happens in this case.. throw into garbage... they cant really prove you got it...they do get lost in the mail.. I would think they would have to certify it to make ensured you got it or prove it.. If I send it back Does not live here.. will it find its way back to me or wil they leave me alone for now..

seniorjudge

usmcsgtbob said:
I got a simple question...I do NOT wish to go to just duty.. 6 years ago I got a letter in mail to fill ut and send back calling for jury duty.. I got a letter from my employer stating he could not afford for my abscence and also a Dr's letter stating it was not a good idea for me to attend that he did not recommend.. and they excused me... Ive been left alone for 6 years until...

I recently purchased another home... they get thier records from drivers licence renewels, home purchases, marriage licence applications ect... well they sent the jury duty form to my other home in which I do not live there.. It had my regular address on it then a post office yellow sticker on it for a forwarded address... wht PO did this I dont know.. but I do not live there. My ex lives there.. PO screwed up... Should I do ??

put on the letter "Return to sender...Deos not live here" and throw back in the mail

I have a couple friends they simply throw into garbage when they get them.. what happens in this case.. throw into garbage... they cant really prove you got it...they do get lost in the mail.. I would think they would have to certify it to make ensured you got it or prove it.. If I send it back Does not live here.. will it find its way back to me or wil they leave me alone for now..

Q: Should I do ??

A: Appear for jury duty.

outonbail

usmcsgtbob said:

You're not actually a seargent in the USMC are you?

CdwJava

How very civic minded of you. :rolleyes:

Just show up for jury duty. Chances are they won't need you anyway.

I mean, come on!

- Carl

JETX

And if he had been smart enough to follow the forum rules (what state), I could have provided him with the CRIMINAL charge for failing to appear. :D

Also, his excuse that his employer wouldn't let him go is pure CRAP.

For example, Alabama state law:
"§12-16-82.
"If any person summoned as a grand or petit juror shall fail to obey such summons without good excuse, to be determined by the court, he or she shall be deemed guilty of a contempt of court; and, if no sufficient excuse is rendered for him or her at the time of his or her default, an order shall be entered for him or her to show cause why he or she shall not be adjudged guilty of contempt and punished accordingly; and, if he shall fail at the next session after the service of such notice to render such excuse, he or she shall be fined by the court not more than three hundred dollars ($300) and may be imprisoned in the county jail for not more than 10 days. In courts holding sessions longer than 30 days, the order shall be made returnable 20 days after it issues, and the person in default shall have 10 days after service in which to appear and render his excuse.""

Last edited:

garrula lingua

No decent atty would want you on their jury.

Show your disdain for jury duty: tell the attys you don't think you could be a fair and impartial juror as you are too worried about your personal problems.

Do everyone a favor and get dismissed. You will be a miserable juror.

Everyone deserves a juror who will pay attention and put his/her interests second to the case being presented. You are not capable of that.

When one of the attys asks: would you want someone like you on their jury, be honest and say, "No".
You are too selfish to hold someone's fate in your hands.

Iris27

usmcsgtbob said:

I just got called for jd myself I dont want to go either but I will show up. I just plan to show my dis like for the american justice system as it has failed me several times." I hate cops" and "I cant possibly be unbiased because I generally lean toward giving people the benifit of the doubt."Hopefully that will work if not I guess I'm screwed.Good luck!

Just Blue

Iris27 said:
I just got called for jd myself I dont want to go either but I will show up. I just plan to show my dis like for the american justice system as it has failed me several times." I hate cops" and "I cant possibly be unbiased because I generally lean toward giving people the benifit of the doubt."Hopefully that will work if not I guess I'm screwed.Good luck!

When your new boyfriend decides to use you for a punching bag...Make sure you tell the cops that respond to your 911 call how much you hate them...;)

Iris27

Thanks for the advice it was very poetic

:)
baystategirl said:
When your new boyfriend decides to use you for a punching bag...Make sure you tell the cops that respond to your 911 call how much you hate them...;)
Thanks I will keep that in mind. But I coverd that with them in 1998 when after being assaulted by my boyfriend I called 911 and was told by the operator they would send an officer when one became availible. And an hour later repeated the same thing to me when I called back. I ended up having to call another police department for help. I ended up in the hospital that night.I coverd it again with them when a friend of mine had her son kidnapped by an abusive x boyfrind was told sorry we cant help you by police departments in 2 different citys. She ended up having to move in with the crazy ******* just to be with her son. I havent heard from her since.I was hit head on by a drunk driver who already had a suspended dl for dui but he managed to get away with out even haveing to pay a dime for my medical bills or insurence costs.So yes I tend not to trust cops or lawyers or judges or anyone for that matter.

Just Blue

Iris27 said:
:)

Thanks I will keep that in mind. But I coverd that with them in 1998 when after being assaulted by my boyfriend I called 911 and was told by the operator they would send an officer when one became availible. And an hour later repeated the same thing to me when I called back. I ended up having to call another police department for help. I ended up in the hospital that night.I coverd it again with them when a friend of mine had her son kidnapped by an abusive x boyfrind was told sorry we cant help you by police departments in 2 different citys. She ended up having to move in with the crazy ******* just to be with her son. I havent heard from her since.I was hit head on by a drunk driver who already had a suspended dl for dui but he managed to get away with out even haveing to pay a dime for my medical bills or insurence costs.So yes I tend not to trust cops or lawyers or judges or anyone for that matter.

Sweetie...You need to move! I will tell you that the cops up my way are WONDERFUL! Anytime I have needed them they were there.....And this is a true story...I had just moved to my present town and I am i the boonies...I didn't have a car (this is just after I left my abuser...I had nothing!!)...and there was no public transportation...my daughter need diapers and it was 102 out...so I couldn't walk. I went to the net to get a # for a taxi but couldn't find one....So I called the police to get a name and number for a taxi service...Well as I said this is the boonies...there are no taxi's here...I was freakin' it was just too hot to walk the 2 miles to the store...and I didn't know what I was going to do...And the cop..(sergeant) says to me...where do you live I will give you a ride..I couldn't believe my ears!! He came and took me to the store ....I LOVE COPS! I make it a point to try and get to know the cops in my area...They risk there lives for us everyday and for sh*t pay...So don't give up on them all because you have had some bad luck with a small portion of them...;) :cool: :)

JETX

Iris27 said:
Thanks I will keep that in mind. But I coverd that with them in 1998 when after being assaulted by my boyfriend I called 911 and was told by the operator they would send an officer when one became availible. And an hour later repeated the same thing to me when I called back. I ended up having to call another police department for help.
And be sure to blame the police for that... since they are NOT the 911 dispatcher!!

I coverd it again with them when a friend of mine had her son kidnapped by an abusive x boyfrind was told sorry we cant help you by police departments in 2 different citys.
Unlikely.... and if true, likely FAR more to this. Was the boyfriend the childs father?? Or your friend allowed the boyfriend to take them.

She ended up having to move in with the crazy ******* just to be with her son.
And of course that is pure crap.... unless the boyfriend was the childs father.

I was hit head on by a drunk driver who already had a suspended dl for dui but he managed to get away with out even haveing to pay a dime for my medical bills or insurence costs.
And more blame when it isn't appropriate.... and unlikely. If the other driver was truly at fault..... all you had to do was file a lawsuit.

I think you are full of crap.... and confused as to who is liable for your problems. :eek:

Iris27

You know nothing

JETX said:
And be sure to blame the police for that... since they are NOT the 911 dispatcher!!

Unlikely.... and if true, likely FAR more to this. Was the boyfriend the childs father?? Or your friend allowed the boyfriend to take them.

And of course that is pure crap.... unless the boyfriend was the childs father.

And more blame when it isn't appropriate.... and unlikely. If the other driver was truly at fault..... all you had to do was file a lawsuit.

I think you are full of crap.... and confused as to who is liable for your problems. :eek:
I know it is fun to pretend you know what your talking about but the fact is you know nothing. In 98 when the police dept failed to help me I lived in the boonies and the 911 "dispatcher" was some redneck chic behind a counter in the local police dept with a sheriff and 1 other officer the police dept was 30 miles away from my house.As for the matter of my friends child I thought the fact that the boyfriend was the childs father was implied sorry to have confused you.And finally in 2002 on labor day I was hit head on by a drunk driver who was driving in the wrong direction in my lane.The man who hit me was 67 years old and walked with a cane he was the town drunk.He got out of going to jail because of his "failing health".The state I live in has what is called a no fault act which prevents me from suing his insurence company(which he did not have by the way) And when you get auto insurence in my state they ask you to sign a verbel threshhold if you dont sign it your insur can cost thousands of dollars.A verbal threshold states that in the event of an accident you can not sue for a personal injury claim.I like almost everyone else signed the agreement.As a result I couldnt find a lawyer to take my case.I was out of work for 7 months and in pt for 6 there was 7 thousand dollars in damage done to my car he was responsable for nothing he lost his dl but has been caught driving twice since then.If you had read everything I wrote you would have seen that its not just cops I have no faith in its the american justice system as a whole. Now to anyone else who would like to join this silly little spat chat please keep in mind that this whole thing started over a silly comment I made to someone about jury duty it was never ment to be taken seriously. I simply stated what I would say to get out of jury duty and everyone lies to get out of jury duty. If you take offence to it then you need to lighten up. I truthfully dont hate anyone I have just never had a good experience with cops or the courts.I do believe it is my right as an american to freedom of speech but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">