• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding criminal counsel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JDeLude

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

My question is pretty simple. I am charged with a misdemeanor class b for disorderly conduct. I won't waste anyones time with details as to how I aquired the charge. When I went to court for my arraignment I was informed by the desk clerk in the downstairs portion of the courthouse that I was not allowed to have court appointed counsel because of my charge.

Am I not allowed to have a public defender because of the charge I've been given?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

My question is pretty simple. I am charged with a misdemeanor class b for disorderly conduct. I won't waste anyones time with details as to how I aquired the charge. When I went to court for my arraignment I was informed by the desk clerk in the downstairs portion of the courthouse that I was not allowed to have court appointed counsel because of my charge.

Am I not allowed to have a public defender because of the charge I've been given?
I would guess it is because it is a misdemeanor...but that is a guess...I am sure Carl or one of the others will correct me if I am wrong.

JDeLude

I would guess it is because it is a misdemeanor...but that is a guess...I am sure Carl or one of the others will correct me if I am wrong.
I was arrested at the same time as a friend of mine, same charge at the time of arrest. The only real difference is he has an extensive criminal record while I have none to speak of. Anyway, his class A stuck between the arrest and the arraignment, and he was given a public defender when he asked for one. I was standing behind him when he requested the paperwork, not more than a minute later the clerk informed me I couldn't have a lawyer.

I assume you're right, but I'm just concerned. The only thing better than having no criminal record, is keeping it that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">