• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about basic inmate rights/privilages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CivilianKano

They do not live in squalor. The showers are not in the cells. The showers are a common area. The showers are cleaned by the inmates assigned to clean the common areas and/or jail staff. The metal sink and toilet? Unless someone has been ill in the cell, the toilet is pretty much self cleaning. The sink? Wipe it out with a towel.

If an inmate drops a letter into the "outgoing" mail slot/box it doesn't mean that the letter goes to the post office the next day. It may be a couple to a few days before the outgoing mail is collected from each pod or section. And then the mail is screened. Finally the letter is actually mailed. And goodness only knows how long the USPS will take.

OP has stated two different things: That her friend hasn't been sentenced yet (which indicates she has already had a trial). She also states that her friend is waiting on trial.
Now, either the OP is a tad confused, or her friend has been accused of more than one felony, was adjudicated for one (or more) and is waiting on sentencing and trial for the other accusations.
I would like to see how clean your house is, considering out outlook on self cleaning bathrooms. I cant believe all your disgusting explanations as to why there doesnt need to be cleaning supplies; who are you trying to protect?

The person in charge of property explained to me that inmate mail is dropped every day, the main central post office is less than 1 mile away and i live less than 5 miles from the county jail. The mail is stamped the day before and it arrives to my house; but her letters are marked 2 weeks prior to the stamp date. I dont think i ave to reiterate that two full weeks is a bit unreasonable time to deliver mail. If this is someones only access to the outside world, do you see how this can be dangerous?

Yes my friend hasnt gone to trial yet, she is in jail awaiting her trial.

CivilianKano

ever been there? I'm guessing not.

depends where you are. Around here, the residents of the pod clean them. They are not given any cleanser and brushes or anything else. and there is a common toilet along with the shower. Again, cleanser is not something that is given with any regularity and no utensils are give and no rubber gloves. Do you want to clean a common toilet where you have no idea what diseases the people using it have without as much as a brush?

not even close. To start with, while they are stainless steel, the porelien in your toilet at home smoother (smoother means less will stick to it). Would you let your toilet go for...well, based on your statement, forever without cleaning it? is that acceptable to you?

wow, that does so much good. Either your home is a toxic waste dump by now or I suspect you use something more than a rag to clean the sinks around your house.

the USPS is quite efficient. I can mail something across the country for a half a dollar and it takes a few days. The point is how long the jail takes to release the mail. The mail that is time sensitive gets mailed the same way as all the other mail. A delay of a couple weeks (like the OP is speaking of) could be the difference between freedom or continued incarceration.

I saw this:

she did also say this:

but if she has not had a trial, then she also has not been sentenced. Yes, it does sound a bit odd but there was nothing stating she has been convicted, at least that I saw.

thank you so much for the comedic responses, they have brought a little levity to this otherwise serious conversation. Although i would not lend much credibility to her answers, you are correct in your own. I could not imagine sharing a toilet with 16 other strangers- which reputations are in question- and expect the toilets to be self cleaning.

I dont wish to go into the specifics of her case, but yes my friend is sitting in jail waiting for trial. Lawyers and courts take their time with things and it is best not to rush them, in the mean time- she waits.

CivilianKano

I suggest you make the 5 minute commute to visit her in person rather than corresponding once a month. She will appreciate it more.
Thank you, i have been trying. It is an enormous task of applying for visitation, then she has to submit forms AFTER they approve me, then mail her my application ID number, then after she submits her list every thursday is only allowed 5 visitors on her list every 60 days; AND after all of those flaming hoops have been accomplished- she is only allowed 2 visitations a week. After 1 month we have just got to this point; some of her immediate family want to visit her first, hopefully we will be able to see/hear from her directly behind glass and not on a video skype-like system in another building.

Visiting people in the system is not how it is in the movies anymore i suppose.

CivilianKano

You'd get better info on this if you went to prisontalk.com. This forum isn't so much for internal prison issues.
thank you i will try this next, i came here because i assumed that i could get a professional response from adults with experience. My results here have been mixed, i cant imagine what responses i would get from "prisontalk.com" but i am diligent to help my loved one. thanks again for your help.

CivilianKano

Pretty much everything you said is wrong. Inmates are often given cleaning supplies, toilets are not "self cleaning"and the inmates are expected to keep their cells clean. That means more than wiping out the sink with a towel.

Also, the fact that she has not been sentenced does not "indicate she has already had a trial". Quite to the contrary.

It is a good thing that it is obvious that you have never ghad the displeasure of being in jail. I just do not know why that you insist on giving your opinion which you state as fact about something that you do not understand?
thank you for the very kind responses. I do not think the commenter has any real experience or the thoughtfulness that you do. I do give their comments any credibility.

Proserpina

thank you so much for the comedic responses, they have brought a little levity to this otherwise serious conversation. Although i would not lend much credibility to her answers, you are correct in your own. I could not imagine sharing a toilet with 16 other strangers- which reputations are in question- and expect the toilets to be self cleaning.

I dont wish to go into the specifics of her case, but yes my friend is sitting in jail waiting for trial. Lawyers and courts take their time with things and it is best not to rush them, in the mean time- she waits.

If a person does not like prison conditions, it would be best for them to stop breaking the law.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If a person does not like prison conditions, it would be best for them to stop breaking the law.
Actually this person is in jail. Not everyone in jail is guilty. Some are innocent but have been accused. The whole presumption of innocence idea that is in the Constitution applies. It is possible that his friend is innocent.

Proserpina

Actually this person is in jail. Not everyone in jail is guilty. Some are innocent but have been accused. The whole presumption of innocence idea that is in the Constitution applies. It is possible that his friend is innocent.
Oh my goodness gracious me - you're right!

Although it doesn't really change much.

The friend IS in jail, and if we're being told the truth, her guilt or innocence has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the conditions she is facing right now.

I didn't address the cleaning supply issue in my other post so**************l

Cleanliness is VERY important in a jail or prison setting. There are a host of nasty bugs that fly around. We had a serious MRSA problem for awhile and I spent a lot of time finding cleaning fluids that were non toxic but killed the creepy crud. Yes, prisoners will drink them if they thing they will get high.

I allow cleaning fluids to be handed out twice a day on a regular schedule and as needed if its an emergency. Most jails and prisons I have visited have a similar procedures. perhaps she is not up or aware when cleaning supplies are handed out?

CivilianKano

my friend informed me she only gets to go to outdoor recreation ONE time a week. I dont know how much bearing this has in the United States, but according to the UN Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners :

"21. (1) Every prisoner who is not employed in outdoor work shall have at least one hour of suitable exercise in the open air daily if the weather permits."

http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/TreatmentOfPrisoners.aspx

justalayman

my friend informed me she only gets to go to outdoor recreation ONE time a week. I dont know how much bearing this has in the United States, but according to the UN Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners :

"21. (1) Every prisoner who is not employed in outdoor work shall have at least one hour of suitable exercise in the open air daily if the weather permits."

http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/TreatmentOfPrisoners.aspx
It has no bearing on the US.

There are myriad reasons why that simple statement would not be practical to put into practice. While the intent is great, sometimes it just isn't going to happen.

Common belief is that people in jail get what they deserve because they are being punished. The unfortunate truth is that Prison/Jail has moved from a "correctional" system to a punishment system.

This is doing society as a whole no service.

I would also like to add that the folks who like to joke about prison clearly should be ashamed.

Any amount of time in jail will open your eyes pretty quickly that it is not in fact a laughing matter. I hope you don't find yourself there one day.....

You may go to prison in Massachusetts if:
you have sex and you are not married,
you have sex with someone other than your spouse,
you have anal, or oral sex with your wife or someone else,
you use the lords name in vain or deny his existence,
you live with someone, have a few drinks and make out on the couch, if you are not married.
you engage in homosexual activity
you employ an albino or midget for exhibition

Seems to me that Massachusetts is a state of criminals which would explain why they have so many police, lawyers, prosecutors, fbi agents, etc etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">