• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions, please advise on alabama felony charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

georgiaone

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? alabama, chambers county

i need some advice and fast. my mother is now under hospice care for congestive heart failure. she isn't expected to live very much longer with her condition. we have had much time to get her affairs in order but you can never be totally prepared for this. she is very loved by us.
in june of 2005 another daughter of hers paroled through interstate compact to her house from georgia. this daughter took advantage of mom's weakened state. she stole her vehicle, misc. house items and credit cards. all in all, alabama has two felony outstanding warrants against her other daughter. the only reason this daughter hasn't faced these charges is because she was on parole from georgia when the crimes were done. georgia revoked her parole and now has her in diagnostics waiting to go back to prison.
my questions is this. if mom passes away before her daughter faces the charges in alabama, will the state continue the charges for mom and press the case forward? or will the charges just be dropped because the victim of the crime isn't alive to testify? this other daughter hurt mom very bad... i am quite angry myself that this happened to mom and that she was taken advantage of in her last years of life.
the other daughter has an extensive criminal history and has been in prison 4 times before. my mom tried to give her yet another chance to get her life together to no avail. please advise what will happen and what can i do to make sure that this crime is punished as my mother intended for this to be handled.
thanks to all advice in advance.

does anyone have any advice or knowledge to share about this? please

Last edited:

outonbail

I have some advice. Drop it. Don’t let the last days you can spend with your mother get consumed by this. I would be thanking my mother and letting her know how much she is loved and how much she will be missed and that everything is going to be fine until we meet again on the other side.

It is more comforting for a parent to know that their siblings are getting along at such a time. If they have prepared for the inevitable passing, it has to be a blessing to see that you leave behind loving siblings as opposed to greed driven, revenge filled little brats.

If your mother is not around to testify, then finding the “other” daughter guilty will be difficult. She can always say that she was caring for your mother in her weakened state and that she had mothers permission to use her credit cards and vehicle. She will also probably take the position that she was the only one who cared enough to be around to watch over your mother. While such a claim may be false, it is possible, after all, you must not have been around when this other daughter was taking advantage of your mother right? Since she’s been in prison 4 times before, you must have known that she had a criminal history. Why would you not have paid closer attention to what was happening when the criminal daughter was in the position of opportunity?

You state that her parole was revoked due to this, so she’s already being punished. She’s back in prison right? Just not going to be there long enough for your liking?

I’m not trying to get down on you or place any fault with you for the conduct you mention. But the fact that your mother gave her another chance after four seperate prison stays, tells me your mother loved her unconditionally and must have saw good in her. So it can’t be your mothers wishes to put the screws to her now and justified or not, mom can’t be happy with your anger and resentment towards the other sister.

Let it go and enjoy the last days with your mom while you can, she certainly has earned and deserves it.....

georgiaone

i was there and i put a stop to the fact that she was taken advantage of as soon as i could. this all happened in a matter of 3 weeks time. from the time that she got there until the time that she was taken back into custody. greed filled? revenge filled? well no, that isn't the case, brat???? not. i have just had enough of this woman hurting the ones i love. she has hurt everyone and has no remorse. she is actually a better functioning, happier person in prison. society is also safer...... she is cocaine addicted and until and unless she faces that, there isn't any help for her.

georgiaone

thanks for your reply, though. i have all notarized documents stating what happened and the victims impact statement that mom submitted regarding this situation. she doesn't want this dropped and that is mom's wishes. she wants her other daughter to finally get "the rules" of society. i will follow her wishes, she deserves that much and much more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">