• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick and speedy trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meat

What is the name of your state? New York Upstate
I was arrested many months back by the US Marshals Service and said to be in violation of Title 18 United States code Sec.701 .

I had a replica Badge and it was not used in any illegal manner, it is a collectable. I saw a Judge along with a public defender. The public defender thought it would be best to waive my right at that time for a quick and speedy trial.due to that fact i my family Attorney was on vacation and it would give him time to prepare

Upon seeing the Judge she said i would here from the court in 60-75 days . On about day 70 the court asked for a 30 day extension at which time my attorney said fine . I would have liked to proceed be he said it would look good for me, so i agreed.

The 30 days they asked for has come and long gone i would like to get this matter done and over with . Is there any thing i can do ?? i feel that they dont want to bother with this and i have certainly not recieved my speedy trial

Thank you for your support and your tip as wellWhat is the name of your state?

gawm

Nope, once you request a continuance then it makes it easy for the court and state to keep requesting them. I have even seen cases where the defendant flat out refuse to waive his right to a "fair a speedy trial" but then his PD tells the judge they are not ready and "In the interest of justice" the judge continued the trial anyway. Unless you have a ton of money, I don't think there is such a thing as a fair and speedy trial. It could be worst, you could be in jail waiting for trial.

meat

speedy trial

Thank you for your quick response i feel like the Govt is just holding me at bay...Can i ask for a court date? And put them on the spot?

gawm

It might help a little bit if you go on record saying you would like your trial as soon as possible. It will be subject to the court calender and prosecutions schedule as well as your attorney's schedule(I'm sure you're not his only case). I always felt time is on the defendant's side in most cases. I can understand your anxiousness, but it is not like you are waiting in jail. Don't shortcut your attorney's ability to defend you by rushing your case through the docket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">