• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Radar Detection and Vaping/Smoking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yeroc8

Has anyone ever heard if smoking or vaping while shooting speed radar could impact the radar gun measurement? I recently received a ticket and noted that the officers were vaping while shooting radar and wanted to know if that would have an impact on their reading. Preferably, are you aware of any cases in which this factor has been considered?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Has anyone ever heard if smoking or vaping while shooting speed radar could impact the radar gun measurement? I recently received a ticket and noted that the officers were vaping while shooting radar and wanted to know if that would have an impact on their reading. Preferably, are you aware of any cases in which this factor has been considered?
Sorry, this forum is for US law only.

The beautiful thing about radar is that it cuts right through mist ;)

Yeroc8

Sorry, this forum is for US law only.

The beautiful thing about radar is that it cuts right through mist ;)
I am referring to US law, particularly if there is any case law in which the reliability of radar in speed detection was the cause for any charge to be dismissed?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am referring to US law, particularly if there is any case law in which the reliability of radar in speed detection was the cause for any charge to be dismissed?
In what US did you receive your ticket? Vapor (from vaping) won't affect radar results. Beyond that, there is plenty of information on the internet about the general reliability and nature of radar use in traffic enforcement. Furthermore, you won't be able to properly present any evidence in court.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Has anyone ever heard if smoking or vaping while shooting speed radar could impact the radar gun measurement?

No. But I did have a defendant try to beat a speeding ticket by saying that I was eating a bagel while I was pacing him. He didn't win.

CdwJava

While I do like donuts, I don't eat them for breakfast.

I also strictly avoid Dunkin Donuts and similar establishments while in uniform - I hate to perpetuate the stereotype.
I prefer Winchells. :)

When I have gone back east, I found that Dunkin' Donuts were far more numerous than Starbucks! In the neighborhood where my wife once lived in Philly, there were 3 DDs in 6 blocks! I mean, WTH???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">