• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

re. now-locked, and currently-missing ;), threads "arrested for stealing electricity"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

re. now-locked, and currently-missing ;), threads "arrested for stealing electricity"

I have been intending for awhile now to update a thread I started last month. The thread I created was designed to correct and clarify some information provided in another locked thread started by a poster named realfilm. Unfortunately, my thread sort of comes and goes and, although it was here earlier today, it has apparently been reported once again and is now gone. Hence this new thread.

The threads are https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/arrested-stealing-electric-really-602071.html and (the one currently missing) https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/re-now-locked-thread-arrested-stealing-electric-really-602114.html.

Briefly, the threads involve the arrest of a man (Kaveh Kamooneh) in Georgia for charging his electric car using a school's outdoor electrical outlet (a school, by the way, where he had been told previously he was not allowed). The charge was "theft by taking" (theft of utility). Kamooneh took, without permission, electricity from the school to recharge his car. Kamooneh was released on bond after serving 15 hours in jail, and the case against him was scheduled to be heard in February.

Now the update: Shortly before Christmas, Kamooneh's attorney met with the County Prosecutor and an agreement was reached. All of the terms of the agreement have not been disclosed but the Prosecutor did agree to dismiss the theft charges against Kamooneh. The Chamblee City Manager (who agreed with the prosecutor's decision) wanted it made clear that the dismissal of theft charges against Kamooneh did NOT mean that using someone else's electricity without permission was legal. It isn't. It's theft under Georgia law.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">