• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are Realtor Signs Abandoned Property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MoneyShot

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I'm not sure where to put this question so I'll start here.

A realtor bought a property in our community with the intention of flipping it for a quick profit. Every weekend, he's peppered the streets leading to and inside the area with open house signs - every 20 feet or so - placed on the strip between the sidewalk and the curb at corners and in front of other houses, plus put bunches of balloons on each corner tied to the street signs. Any attention is good attention I guess. A few residents are upset at how trashy it looks and have removed the signs and cut the balloons free. This weekend the realtor was out placing more signs, got upset that the signs had been removed and called the police. An officer went door to door asking if anyone knew about it. I was working in my yard when he came by to talk. He asked if I knew who had done it or had seen anything and I said "I really can't say I'm sure but I do know folks don't like what these look like all over the place." He said that whoever took the signs may be guilty of petty larceny. Here's the question. Is he right or do the signs (and balloons) become abandoned property once placed and walked away from? I'm thinking that they fall into the same category as a bag of trash placed at the curb and moving them would not be "theft". Personally I'm thankful that someone is taking time to remove the litter from our streets.

When talking, the cop said he thought I knew more about it than I was saying. I just smiled and asked if there was anything else I could help him with, and if not I had work to do.What is the name of your state?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
They are not abandoned property. You could get in trouble. The strip where he is placing them is not the property of the people who own the homes. It is most likely considered the city right of way. Only the city therefore could remove said property.

MoneyShot

Actually it's not me but a neighbor three doors down who I suspect is having his kids pick up the signs. He's a bit odd but is very fastidious about the way his lot looks and takes offense at anything 'out of order'. In that regard he's good and I've often seen him picking up stray pieces of paper to keep the area clean. He had asked me and I thought the same rules that apply to garbage that's been set out applied here. I'll pass along the advice. Thanks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Actually it's not me but a neighbor three doors down who I suspect is having his kids pick up the signs. He's a bit odd but is very fastidious about the way his lot looks and takes offense at anything 'out of order'. In that regard he's good and I've often seen him picking up stray pieces of paper to keep the area clean. He had asked me and I thought the same rules that apply to garbage that's been set out applied here. I'll pass along the advice. Thanks.
Garbage is set out however to be taken. That is the purpose of putting garbage on the curb. The purpose of these signs however is different. Many people dont' realize that the city has a right of way. The so-called devil strip (grass between the sidewalk and the road) is actually for city use because it is city right of way pretty much everywhere though individual property owners are to take care of it.

Ozark_Sophist

Check city code for sign requirements. The realtor may need a permit for each sign (as one example).

On the other hand, I wonder what signs one could place on the strip in front of the realtor's flip house. Perhaps an invitation to an informational seminar on how people use cosmetic work to flip houses for an outrageous value. <-- at least it would promote a discussion.

FlyingRon

In Virginia it is not legal to erect signs in the government owned property right of way without a permit from the government. The erection of signs in private/commercial owned property in the right of way is also restricted.

That being says you can make an anonymous complaint to VDOT to have them removed. Call 703-383-VDOT (8368), or 1-800-367-ROAD (7623). Many county zoning departments will also remove the signs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">