• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reasonable cause???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

snyderg926

What is the name of your state? New York State - City of Albany
Oct. 3 Went out with a group of friends to a popular Albany Bar.
Oct. 4 at approx 1:30 am we left the bar and began walking back towards our dorms. I walked probably 75-100 feet down State street from Quail before noticing that my group of friends had stopped at the corner. I stood on the sidewalk, waiting for them, as an Albany Police car stopped in front of me. Two officers got out and asked my if i lived at the house i was in front of. I said no, and that we were on our way back to the college. He asked me if i had I.D. and i said yes.. he then TOLD me to give it to him. My I.D. was a chalked learners permit. He put me in handcuffs and brought me to the police station. When i asked him why they could single me out the cop replied with "Well it looked to me like you were about to whip your ****ing cock out and piss." When i asked of their suspicions they replied with "Shut the **** up, what are you a law student?" I was charged with the posession of a forged instrument with the intent to defraud. I understand that it is a crime to have a fake i.d. but in order to make a stop and question, doesnt there need to be reasonable cause? My group of friends were not questioned even as they approached the police and argued for me!

JETX

"doesnt there need to be reasonable cause?"
*** Yes. And rather than argue over whether yours was or not, have your defense attorney review ALL the facts and he/she will determine whether your rights were violated.

S

sdstrooper

What were you doing when they stopped you? Acting intoxicated in front of the police after you left the bar? At 1:30 am in the morning, did someone report some loud and rowdy kids in the street? Request a copy of the police report and find out why they initially stopped you.

S

snyderg926

not acting intoxicated!!!!

it was 1:30 in the am, but this is downtown albany. The streets are a constant walkway for college students in the area. No one reported any noise complaints, i was in small group walking, and i was not even with the group at the time. I was standing on the sidewalk, waiting as the police were driving by, they had not been parked. i had been drinking, but i was the least intoxicated out of anyone. The excuse they used was that i was "ABOUT to whip my ****ing cock out and piss." Note: This occurred at 1:40, i was released from the police station around 3 o clock, and did not get a ride back to the dorm until approx. 3:45. It was not until i was back in my dormitory that i even used the bathroom!!!

S

sdstrooper

That's a bad excuse. To come close to violating public urination laws, your pants should have at least been open or you are in the act of pissing, which I assume neither is true for you. Officers cannot assume that you are going piss, just like they can't assume you are going to break into a house.

B

BillyBG

Why'd you give him your illegal ID for? Are you dumb or something?

S

snyderg926

had 2 i.d.s on me

We had already gotten in to the bar underage, that was what i was worried about. Not being questioned on the way home for no reaon. I had 2 id's on me, a real license and the chalked license. When the officers stopped they TOLD me to give them my license, and they were in the same pocket. Bad luck i guess but i picked the wrong one!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">