• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received Citation for Possession of Drug Paraphernalia after search

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BuckeyeGuy712

Hey Everyone,

I am 23 years old and my incident occurred late afternoon on Monday, April 16th. I will try to explain in detail without rambling on too much. I am a first time offender with a clean record...minus a possession of alcohol underage when I was 19.

So I know after the fact what we did was not very smart and should have done things differently, but you can't change the past right. Anyway, my buddy was in town visiting from Minnesota and he had recently bought an 1859 Colt Black Powder Revolver and we wanted to go shoot it somewhere. We went up to Williamson county in Texas just north of Austin a little ways and found a river with no where to park but on private property. We knocked on some doors to see if we could park there, and no one answered. So we parked behind one of the seemingly empty houses and walked on down to the river. I left a note on my car that said "Walking the river, we come in peace, with my phone number".

Towards the end of the day, I missed a call from restricted and noticed it two minutes later. We immediately packed up and walked back towards the cars. On the way to the cars I saw cops in the distance and a cop stopped us holding an AR-15. We went back to the cars with them, and stupidly after saying no and asking why a few times, one of the cops was talking about drug dogs and eventually I said ok to him searching my car. Not yes, but a vague ok I guess comment.

They tore up my car, dropped my computer on the ground (luckily no serious damage), broke my sunglasses, and found a little pipe for smoking weed. I forgot it was even in there so I wasn't worried about them searching. We got a warning for Criminal Trespassing, and I got a citation for Possession of Drug Paraphernalia.

I had plans to move out of Texas at the end of May, but now Im wondering is this worth fighting.

So my question is, Is this worth fighting? Is a class C misdemeanor worth fighting? Will it be a long drawn out process that makes me stay in the state longer than expected? Is there a way I can plead guilty and have a lawyer or public defender talk it down so I can pay a fine and have it not show up on my record? I know I could get it expunged later, but I want to see if theres a way to have it not show up from the get go.

Thanks for all your time and help in my situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">