• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receving stolen property with a twist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chris22888

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
Ok long story but what to make sure to give all the details. My little brother bought a 98 Acura Integra on Saturday night. The car was supposed to be for parts only wasn't in the best of shape and they didn't have a title for it but he need some parts and for 500 it was a decent deal not crazy good but decent no title though which from my understanding is legal in missouri?

Well on his way home he got pulled over for speeding. Since the car was not tagged the cops ran the Vin and it didn't come back stolen. He had already ran a check on car fax(I think this is what he used) the cops called the previous owner who said they had traded it into another car lot and that car lot had sold it to another one. Well it turns out the car was stolen. They held him for 24 hours and then released him with out charging him. Well figuring that the car was not worth a lot and he still wanted it the car lot contacted him/or he contacted the car lot i am not sure which. Either way they called him today while I was on the phone with him. The car lot said if he gave them 12,000 dollars for the car (Which in perfect condition values at 3,100, which it was not) that they would not prosecute. This is recorded. First off does this car lot even hold that fate in there hand? Second does this not pass the sniff test? I am not big on conspiracy but also not a fan of used car lots and for one to try to extort 4 times the value of a car. I am not sure if they are just trying to take advantage of a situation or what but the whole situation seems a little messed up. Now not only is he out 500 dollars he is having to worry about facing charges or a lawsuit as the lady at the car lot said if he isn't charged she will file a lawsuit. This call was recorded as I record all my calls due to work and having to go back and reference them for process and procedures requested by clients. My question is this should he share this recording with the prosecutor or detectives? He gave them all the details he had on the two people who sold him the car which also had a key if that makes any difference. What is he looking if he gets charged? Bail? If convicted? He has no criminal record other than a couple assault tickets when he was younger.

TigerD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
Ok long story but what to make sure to give all the details. My little brother bought a 98 Acura Integra on Saturday night. The car was supposed to be for parts only wasn't in the best of shape and they didn't have a title for it but he need some parts and for 500 it was a decent deal not crazy good but decent no title though which from my understanding is legal in missouri?
Your understanding is wrong. A title is the only way to transfer a motor vehicle in Missouri. http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/selling.php

Well on his way home he got pulled over for speeding. Since the car was not tagged the cops ran the Vin and it didn't come back stolen. He had already ran a check on car fax(I think this is what he used) the cops called the previous owner who said they had traded it into another car lot and that car lot had sold it to another one. Well it turns out the car was stolen. They held him for 24 hours and then released him with out charging him.
You don't have all the information. Your brother needs an attorney.

Well figuring that the car was not worth a lot and he still wanted it the car lot contacted him/or he contacted the car lot i am not sure which. Either way they called him today while I was on the phone with him. The car lot said if he gave them 12,000 dollars for the car (Which in perfect condition values at 3,100, which it was not) that they would not prosecute. This is recorded.
They don't make the decision on who to prosecute or not. However, they may have considerable more influence with their prosecutor than your brother - or justice, the Constitution, or basic principles of right and wrong, which many Missouri prosecuting attorneys promptly forget on accepting the job.

First off does this car lot even hold that fate in there hand?
No

Second does this not pass the sniff test?
No, there is much in this story that you do not know.

I am not big on conspiracy but also not a fan of used car lots and for one to try to extort 4 times the value of a car. I am not sure if they are just trying to take advantage of a situation or what but the whole situation seems a little messed up. Now not only is he out 500 dollars he is having to worry about facing charges or a lawsuit as the lady at the car lot said if he isn't charged she will file a lawsuit.
They may well sue him - but that doesn't necessarily mean criminal charges.

This call was recorded as I record all my calls due to work and having to go back and reference them for process and procedures requested by clients. My question is this should he share this recording with the prosecutor or detectives? He gave them all the details he had on the two people who sold him the car which also had a key if that makes any difference. What is he looking if he gets charged? Bail? If convicted? He has no criminal record other than a couple assault tickets when he was younger.
He needs to speak with a criminal defense attorney. He needs to stop speaking with you about any aspect of his case.

TD

chris22888

Thank you Tiger. I have got him in contact with a criminal/Civil lawyer in the area so he can handle his case. When they called and wanted 12,000 dollars it just seemed like they were trying to take advantage of a situation in which he has already lost 500 dollars and looks like he is going to have to put out more fighting anything that comes out of it if there is charges brought. I was just shocked. But I guess you can ask whatever you want for something doesn't mean anyone is going to buy it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm curious - if your brother bought the car as a "parts car" then why did he drive it?

LdiJ

I'm curious - if your brother bought the car as a "parts car" then why did he drive it?
If it was running that was cheaper than towing it.

OP, your brother messed up. If they couldn't give him a title to the car he should NOT have purchased it, even if it was a good deal for a parts car.

Hopefully he will not end up facing any criminal prosecution, since they released him without charging him. I agree that the person at the car lot was being outrageous about the whole thing and of course he not only should not pay them the money, but also should not speak to them again.

LdiJ

But...that would be illegal.
Huh? If you buy a car from someone as long as you have the paperwork to prove the purchase you have at least a small amount of time to get it plated.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Huh? If you buy a car from someone as long as you have the paperwork to prove the purchase you have at least a small amount of time to get it plated.
He had no intention of plating it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">