• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recovering bail money from 16 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

histori

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

As a 26 year old in 1998, I was arrested for a misdemeanor and posted bail the next day. The charges were dropped later. I was too stressed out at the time to claim my money back. Now, 16 years later, I'm very low on funds and trying to scrape together whatever I can.

Is it possible for me to get my bail money back or is there some time limit that's expired?

A complication is that my friend had paid the bail at the time and I paid her back . She has lost track of the receipt. So we don't have a receipt anymore.

Thank you

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

As a 26 year old in 1998, I was arrested for a misdemeanor and posted bail the next day. The charges were dropped later. I was too stressed out at the time to claim my money back. Now, 16 years later, I'm very low on funds and trying to scrape together whatever I can.

Is it possible for me to get my bail money back or is there some time limit that's expired?

A complication is that my friend had paid the bail at the time and I paid her back . She has lost track of the receipt. So we don't have a receipt anymore.

Thank you
I suspect that you are completely SOL at this point. No receipt plus a 16 year time lag would make it virtually impossible. In addition, if it was one of those cases where your bail was (for example) 10k, and you used a bail bondsman and only had to put out 1k in cash, then you wouldn't have gotten any money back anyway. That 1k was what you had to pay to the bondsman for their services.

racer72

Legally the money, if you have any coming back, would have been turned over to the NY state comptroller. Copy and paste the link below to check.

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/ouf/
[HR][/HR]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">