• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

refusing to tell cops you are on medications while in jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? any US state

When a person is arrested and you get booked in do they ask you questions pertaining to any medications you may be taking? If so do you have to devulge that information? If you say yes but refuse to tell them what they are or what condition or disease you have what happens then?

Mass_Shyster

When a person is arrested and you get booked in do they ask you questions pertaining to any medications you may be taking?
They may or may not. Depends on many different things.
If so do you have to devulge that information?
Nope. The Fifth Amendment permits you to refuse to answer questions
If you say yes but refuse to tell them what they are or what condition or disease you have what happens then?
You can stop answering questions at any time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
However, if you are in jail and don't reveal you need medications, then you definitely won't get medications while in jail. So depending on the length of time you are there, it would be to your benefit to divulge certain things -- insulin for instance.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

When a person is arrested and you get booked in do they ask you questions pertaining to any medications you may be taking? If so do you have to devulge that information? If you say yes but refuse to tell them what they are or what condition or disease you have what happens then?
I don't know why the forum wastes time answering your hypothetical questions. :cool:

CdwJava

It is pretty standard practice to ask medical questions upon booking. If the suspect refuses to disclose the information or lies, then good luck in holding the facility or staff responsible should anything happen as a result of a condition or failure to take the medication.

Typically, if you refuse to answer the booking questions regarding medical conditions and ailments, gang affiliation, etc., you will find yourself in isolation and not housed (and thus, not subject to release) until you DO answer.

Failing to disclose something is not likely to be a crime unless it is a failure to disclose a communicable illness that could put others at risk (such as TB, maybe HIV or Hep-C). I am not familiar with any inmates being charged for the failure to disclose these conditions, but I imagine it is a possibility.

Other states may have different rules or practices.

dave33

Typically, if you refuse to answer the booking questions regarding medical conditions and ailments, gang affiliation, etc., you will find yourself in isolation and not housed (and thus, not subject to release) until you DO answer.

Other states may have different rules or practices.
I doubt the isolation cells are there for people who don't answer questions, but you are right, they often use this as leverage. It should be illegal.

CdwJava

I doubt the isolation cells are there for people who don't answer questions, but you are right, they often use this as leverage. It should be illegal.
They will remain in holding, and, if they are available, they will remain in cells by themselves as they will be unprocessed pre-booking.

Depending on the facility, they have a variety of cells available in the booking loop. These can include administrative segregation, "safety" cells (for suicidal or self-destructive prisoners), pre-booking holding, drunk tank, quick release, etc. When I referred to isolation, I did not mean a safety cell, I meant that they might be in one of the pre-booking cells - and could be held by themselves until they answered. Where I used to work, we'd hold you in a cell by yourself until the questions were answered for purposes of jail security. Where I work now, you'd be held in a pre-booking cell by yourself unless there was no pre-booking holding tanks available.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">